US Treasury Department officials have begun monitoring the operations of Omni Bank (安利銀行) in California at the request of Taiwan's finance officials amid the snowballing Rebar Asia Pacific Group (力霸亞太企業集團) scandal.
Officials from the US Treasury Department's Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) said on Tuesday that the office had so far found no signs of a bank run or money-laundering at any of the three branches or headquarters of Omni Bank, in which family members of Rebar Group founder Wang You-theng (
OCC officials said the office would take no action on Omni Bank until Lawrence Wang (王令興), chairman of Omni Bank and elder son of Wang Chin Shyh-ying, and Wang Lin-chiao (王令僑), an Omni Bank board director and second son of Wang Chin Shyh-ying, are formally indicted by Taiwanese prosecutors.
The OCC will take legal action against the Wang brothers -- at least one of whom is a US citizen -- when the "appropriateness" of their being executives of the US-based bank is considered by the OCC as "in doubt," the officials said.
The Wang brothers' mother resigned as a vice chairwoman of Omni Bank soon after the Rebar financial scandal erupted earlier this month.
Taiwan's judicial and financial authorities have been in contact with their US counterparts concerning the investigations into the Rebar scandal for assistance in the probe into the financial status and personal assets in the US belonging to Wang You-theng and his wife, as well as into whether there are any connections between the Rebar Group and the California-based Omni Bank.
Omni Bank, headquartered in Alhambra, California, was established in 1979. It was acquired by the Wang family in 1990. Omni Bank maintains three branches in San Jose, Monterey Park and Roland Heights.
Wang You-theng and Wang Chin Shyh-ying are at the center of the snowballing financial scandal and are believed to have stolen billions of dollars in corporate funds before going on the lam. They have been placed on Taiwan's most-wanted list and stand accused of embezzlement, insider trading, fraud and breach of trust.
Taiwanese and US authorities have been communicating in accordance with a Taiwan-US judicial assistance accord signed in March 2002, under which the two sides can help each other to obtain testimony from witnesses, deliver legal documents, ascertain the identities of criminal suspects and their whereabouts, and search for and impound evidence and freeze suspects' assets.
In terms of the accord, Taiwan can ask the US to help investigate the couple's whereabouts and their assets, but must respect the decisions and considerations of the US side.
Taiwan does not yet know how the US authorities will choose to handle the case, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) official said.
Wang and his wife fled Taiwan to China after two Rebar subsidiary companies applied for insolvency protection, which in turn triggered a run on The Chinese Bank (中華銀行), another Rebar affiliate.
After the Wangs reportedly flew to San Francisco on Jan. 13, the Taipei Prosecutor's Office issued wanted notices for them on Jan. 15 which will remain valid for 25 years, after which MOFA invalidated their passports.
The MOFA official said that US judicial officials have responded to the wanted notice by saying that Taiwan should provide documents and evidence for allegations that the Wangs have committed crimes, including fraud, money-laundering and insider trading, if they want any help in this regard from the US.
Also see stories:
INCURSION: After 13 PLA aircraft flew into Taiwan’s ADIZ, the US Department of State said that China should rather ‘engage in meaningful dialogue’ with Taiwan US President Joe Biden’s administration on Saturday urged China to stop placing military pressure on Taiwan, while calling on both sides of the Taiwan Strait to engage in peaceful dialogue. The statement by the US Department of State was issued after 13 Chinese military aircraft flew into Taiwan’s southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Saturday, the highest number observed in a single day this year, the Ministry of National Defense said. The air force scrambled fighter jets to monitor the Chinese aircraft, issuing radio warnings and mobilizing air defense assets until the planes left the ADIZ. The US “notes
‘INCREASED VIGILANCE’: A source of infection has not yet been found for the latest two cases in a hospital cluster, which should serve as a warning, Chen Shih-chung said A total of 2,991 people associated with a COVID-19 cluster infection at Taoyuan General Hospital have been put under home isolation, after an emergency expanded isolation order was issued on Sunday evening, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. Fifteen people have so far tested positive in the cluster infection. The first case in the cluster (case No. 838) was reported on Jan. 12 — a doctor who treated an infected patient who had returned from the US. Contact tracing for the first 13 cases found connections to case No. 838, said Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who
FAMILY UNIT: The CECC warned that the eldest sister of the latest case, who also has COVID-19, visited Taoyuan’s Chungping evening market on Tuesday and Wednesday The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported a domestic case of COVID-19, associated with a recent cluster infection at Taoyuan General Hospital, and two imported cases. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that the latest case (No. 885) is a woman in her 50s, who is the third daughter of case No. 881, a man in his 90s. The woman is the main caregiver of her elderly father, who had been hospitalized earlier this month and was treated by a nurse (case No. 852) from Monday to Thursday last week, he said, adding that
DUBIOUS HONOR? A man in his 90s, who tested positive yesterday and is part of the Taoyuan hospital cluster, is the oldest person in Taiwan to have contracted COVID-19 Taiwan yesterday recorded six new imported cases of COVID-19 and two new domestic cases, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said, adding that the local infections are linked to the cluster at Taoyuan General Hospital, which now totals 12 cases. One of the domestic cases is a man in his 90s, who was treated earlier this month at Taoyuan General Hospital and tested negative for COVID-19 on Monday last week, four days before he was discharged, the center said in a statement. After one of the nurses on the ward was confirmed on Saturday last week to have contracted COVID-19, the