Part of the proposed annual defense budget passed the National Defense Committee with only minor revisions, despite the fact that it includes partial funding for the controversial procurement of weapons from the US.
However, the ultimate fate of the budget -- and the US arms deal -- is still uncertain.
The Chinese Nationalist Party's (KMT) position on the arms deal is still not clear. The party's support is key to resolving the years-old legislative stalemate over procuring eight diesel-electric submarines, 12 P-3C Orion maritime patrol aircraft and six Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) anti-missile batteries from the US.
During a joint meeting of the National Defense Committee and Budgets and Final Accounts Committee yesterday, KMT legislators proposed a motion to let the unclassified part of the budget proceed.
This marked the first time that the party did not block funds relating to the procurement of the three advanced weapons systems from the US.
But since the KMT and People First Party (PFP) on Tuesday blocked a supplemental budget for the items, with the parties saying on Monday that they were "not in a rush" to review the budgets, it wasn't immediately clear if the KMT intends to soften its opposition to the deal.
The joint meeting yesterday reviewed only the unclassified part of the military's annual budget for next year.
KMT lawmakers decided to retain an NT$37 million (US$1.1 million) budget in initial funding for a design study for the eight submarines, as well as NT$2.5 million in funding for the P-3C aircraft. But the party "reserved" approving NT$4.2 million in funding for PAC-3s.
It also "reserved" approving NT$20 million in funding for the procurement of 66 F-16C/D fighter jets from the US.
Still, it is an open secret that the bulk of funding for the three US weapons systems -- about NT$25.5 billion -- and NT$16 billion in funding for the F-16 fighters are included in the "classified" part of the budget. This is set for preliminary review on Monday.
After passing preliminary review, the budgets would then be included in the Cabinet's total budget request for next year, and would proceed to a second reading in the legislature.
The budget's ultimate fate has been a source of irritation for US officials, and American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) Director Stephen Young last week came under fire from the pan-blue camp for asking it to pass the US arms procurement package by the end of this fall.
The de facto US ambassador met Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (
"Young told me that his comments had been misunderstood. He said that he just wanted work to run smoothly for him in Taiwan, but it seems to him that everybody's got him wrong," Wang told reporters after a short talk with Young.
Meanwhile, the PFP caucus called a press conference and blasted the KMT for not supporting the PFP's efforts to slash the budget.
"This proves that the KMT doesn't really oppose the arms package. While it has been saying that it is against the bill, in fact, it gives secret support to the Democratic Progressive Party," PFP legislative caucus whip Cheng Ching-ling (
The KMT and PFP on Thursday jointly blocked a NT$6.3 billion supplemental arms budget from being put onto the legislative agenda for review.
"We urge the KMT not to continue deceiving the public by boycotting the [supplemental budget] anymore. Next Tuesday, the KMT can feel free to put it on the legislative agenda," Cheng said.
Cheng said he thought it was possible that the KMT would let the arms deal pass through the legislature after elections in Taipei and Kaohsiung next month.
Responding to the PFP, KMT legislative caucus whip Tsai Chin-lung (
"It was the right decision to proceed with the preliminary review in [yesterday's] National Defense Committee, as we haven't had a chance to review the supplemental budget," Tsai said.
Procedurally, today's review [of the next fiscal year's defense budget] should come after review of the supplemental budget [which applies to the current fiscal year], Tsai said.
Asked whether the KMT would agree to put the supplemental budget onto the legislative agenda in next Tuesday's Procedure Committee meeting, Tsai said that the current situation was still not favorable for moving the supplemental budget forward.
Tsai said that the KMT's stance has been to review the arms budget "in a pragmatic way," and that party Chairman Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) had announced that the party would pass the arms bill by the end of this session.
DPP Legislator William Lai (賴清德) said that the KMT's move should be seen as a tactic against the budget.
"In my experience, if a bill or a budget passes preliminary review, it has more of a chance of passing the legislature in the end. But in cases where the committee decides to reserve a bill or budget, whether it will eventually pass remains uncertain," Lai said.
President Chen Shui-bian (
Meanwhile, Premier Su Tseng-chang (
Additional reporting by Ko Shu-ling and Jimmy Chuang
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary