Thailand's Constitutional Court ruled yesterday that last month's parliamentary elections were unconstitutional and ordered fresh polls in a bid to end a political crisis that has left the country in limbo and unable to form a new government.
The opposition Democrat Party, which had boycotted the controversial April 2 elections, promptly praised the court's ruling and pledged to take part in the upcoming polls "so the country can move forward," party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said.
A date for new elections was not immediately set.
PHOTO: EPA
The court's widely expected ruling came after King Bhumibol Adulyadej sternly suggested last month that the top courts find a way out of what he called the country's political "mess."
Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra called the elections three years ahead of schedule in a bid to defuse anti-government street protests and growing calls for his resignation. But public anger continued, with an opposition boycott of the elections and hundreds of legal complaints alleging that the vote was undemocratic and unconstitutional.
The court's 14 judges voted eight to six to invalidate the parliamentary elections based on a lawsuit filed by academics who accused the Election Commission of several violations, including that it acted too hastily in organizing polls, making it unfair for small parties.
"The organization of the election by the Election Commission was unconstitutional," the court spokesman Paiboon Warahapai-thoon said in a nationally televised news conference called to announce the judges' ruling.
Though the Constitution states that elections must be called within 60 days of the dissolution of parliament, the court ruled the commission's decision to call polls within 37 days "went against the intention of the Constitution," Paiboon said.
Another point of contention was the positioning of polling booths, which the court agreed had "violated the principle of confidential voting," Paiboon said.
In a separate vote, the court ruled nine to five in favor of holding new elections, he said.
Meanwhile, the commission came under mounting pressure to resign yesterday after all sides blamed it for the court ruling annulling the snap polls. The government, the opposition and the protesters who drove Thaksin from office all blamed the commission for messing up the polls.
However, Virachai Naewboonnien, one of the four commissioners, yesterday rejected calls for their resignations.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats