A defiant former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein refused to appear in court yesterday, delaying the resumption of his trial over a Shiite massacre a day after the deposed dictator shouted "Go to hell" at the judge.
The chaotic trial, marked by harrowing witness testimony of torture and angry tirades from Saddam, had been scheduled to resume with testimony from two more "complainants."
But proceedings were delayed, first by a closed-door meeting between Saddam's defense lawyers and judges to discuss "procedural matters," then by the refusal of the fallen dictator to enter the dock.
"There been a delay because one of the defendants is refusing to come up to the court. That defendant is now meeting with his attorneys," a court official said.
"If he doesn't come they come up they will make other arrangements," the official added, subsequently using the name Saddam.
Saddam, 68, and seven of his former henchmen are on trial for the massacre of 150 Shiite villagers after an attempt on his life in 1982.
They all pleaded not guilty at the opening of the trial but face the death penalty if convicted.
With only two witnesses to appear, yesterday had been billed as a short session. The trial was then expected to be adjourned for at least a few weeks as the country concentrates on legislative elections set for Dec. 15.
During the fourth session on Tuesday, witnesses testifying behind a beige screen with electronically distorted voices described being beaten, pistol whipped and given electric shocks by Iraqi intelligence agents.
But their testimony was repeatedly challenged by defense lawyers and Saddam himself, who took the opportunity to make an outburst against the US, Israel and the whole court.
Meanwhile, gunmen killed three police officers early yesterday when they burst into a hospital in the northern city of Kirkuk and freed a wounded man who had been arrested for plotting to kill a judge in Saddam's trial, police said.
Police Brigadier Sarhat Qadir said the attack on al-Jumhuriya Hospital in Kurkuk, 290km north of Baghdad, began at 6am and that six other officers were wounded.
Police had wounded the suspect when he was arrested with seven other Sunni Arabs on Nov. 26 for allegedly plotting to assassinate the investigating judge, Raed Juhi. The men were carrying a document from former top Saddam deputy Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri ordering them to kill Juhi, police said.
Al-Douri is the highest ranking member of the Saddam regime still at large and is believed to be the symbolic leader of Saddam loyalists still fighting US forces and the new government in Iraq.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary