Minister of Economic Affairs Ho Mei-yueh (
Residents in southern Taoyuan County currently have access to water once every three days.
"If my word is not kept, I will take full responsibility and stand down so that someone else can take up the post," she said.
She made no guarantee for northern Taoyuan, however.
"If a full water supply is not available for northern Taoyuan by Aug. 13, then the current mechanism -- in which water is supplied every two days -- will remain," Ho said.
After learning of Ho's offer to quit should the promise not be kept, Premier Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) said he would respect Ho's decision, but that he would keep supporting her in the meantime because she was attempting to solve the problem.
Hsieh said that solving the water supply problem in Taoyuan County was the government's priority, rather than worrying about which Cabinet member should take responsibility and step down.
"The past couple of days I have been asked, `Mr. Premier, who is going to resign for this.' I must say, it is not the time for us to talk about that when everyone in my Cabinet team is trying very hard to resume the water supply in Taoyuan County," he said.
Hsieh yesterday chaired a meeting at the Executive Yuan to discuss the problem. He later said that the government will spend NT$600 million (US$18.8 million) to build a water treatment plant capable of storing 800,000 tonnes of water. The construction of the plant is expected to be completed within two years.
In addition, NT$1.5 billion will be spent on maintaining and extending the Shihmen Reservoir and its immediate catchment area. Hsieh said that a new filtering system will be built, as well as a new outlet for pumping clean water as required.
Also, more vegetation will be planted in upstream areas and a ban on tree felling will be more strictly enforced, he said.
"It is ridiculous that we have so much water in the reservoir but the water is useless because it is too muddy. Why is it muddy? That is because we have not looked after the water or preserved the soil [in the catchment area]," Hsieh said.
"I think we have been taught a lesson and it is time for us to do something," he said.
In other developments, Taiwan Water Corporation (TWC) chairman Lee Wen-liang (李文良) yesterday warned that the water supply in greater Kaohsiung was close to the limit because of excess sediment in reservoirs. If heavy rain hit the area again within a short time, he said, the area could suffer serious problems with water supply.
Lee was speaking during a Kaohsiung City Council meeting in response to water purification problems relating to the Kaoping River network. Two typhoons in the space of three weeks brought a heavy volume of rain and stirred up sediment, as well as depositing silt and debris into reservoirs.
Lee said that the corporation was working on water purification in the area so that the supply for greater Kaohsiung would not be disrupted.
also see story:
Chen says heads must roll over water problems
Shihmen plant probe launched
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats