Japan yesterday accused China of illegally conducting undersea surveys in its territory 22 times last year, including nine surveys near two Pacific Ocean islets at the center of a dispute between the two countries over resources.
Meanwhile, a delegation from a Japanese nongovernment group yesterday steamed toward the Okinotorishima islets to study the possibility of building a lighthouse it hopes would strengthen Japan's foothold there.
In a statement, Japan's Foreign Ministry said China had illegally conducted undersea surveys inside Japan's special economic zone 22 times last year, nine of them around the Okinotorishima outcroppings located 1,730km southeast of Tokyo.
The number of claimed incursions is nearly a threefold increase from eight in 2003.
"It is extremely regrettable to see the violations repeated," the statement said. "We strongly hope the Chinese government to instruct research vessels properly and prevent the problems."
Japan claims the Okinotorishima outcroppings, which are heavily fortified by cement embankments, are islands and therefore extend its exclusive economic zone far into the Pacific.
China does not dispute Japan's territorial claim to Okinotorishima, but argues that they're only rocks -- meaning Beijing is free to exploit the natural resources in some of the waters claimed by Japan.
Under international law, an island, which by definition is a naturally-formed land mass that stays above water during high tide -- can be used to determine the limits of a country's economic zone.
A 40-member team commissioned by the private Nippon Foundation was headed for Okinotorishima to do onsite research on Monday and Tuesday, foundation spokesman Hideo Fukuda said by telephone from their boat.
"The purpose of the trip is to seek ways to make better use of marine resources in the area, and it's not a political action targeting China," Fukuda said.
The team plans to survey coral, take sea water samples and assess the possibility of building a lighthouse and a power generation plant, he said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats