Taiwan should rely on a Cold War-style "balance of terror" to safeguard national security in the face of intimidation from Beijing, Premier Yu Shyi-kun said yesterday in response to a rally against his proposed arms-procurement package.
"The best scenario will see a `balance of terror' being maintained across the Taiwan Strait so that the national security is safeguarded," Yu said. "If you fire 100 missiles at me, I should be able to fire at least 50 at you. If you launch an attack on ... Kaohsiung, I should be able to launch a counterattack on Shanghai."
PHOTO: CHIANG YING-YING, TAIPEI TIMES
Unfortunately, Yu said, during Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) rule Taiwan failed to develop a counterattack capability comparable to that of Israel.
"That's why the NT$610.8 billion [US$18 billion] arms-procurement budget we're seeking from the legislature is necessary, because it'll keep us safe for at least 30 years, based on a study by the Ministry of National Defense," Yu said. "It seems like a good deal, because it'll cost an average of only NT$20 billion a year."
Yu said that the main purpose of the procurements was to sustain national development. Without it, he said, the nation may end up like Hong Kong.
"Arms procurement is necessary, otherwise many problems are bound to result, and it is our child-ren who will have to pay the price and shoulder the consequences," he said.
Responding to opposition criticism that the amount being spent was outrageously high, Yu called on the public to understand that US arms dealers were always going to make a profit from the deal.
"The US government is the only country in the world who has the guts to sell us weapons," Yu said. "We have to understand that it's a seller's market and that we have very limited space in which to haggle."
Cabinet Spokesman Chen Chi-mai (
"The weapons-procurement project is necessary because China has racked up double-digit increases to its military budget every year since 1995, while we have been cutting military spending," Chen said.
"We're very worried about the defeatism embraced by certain people. We hope they come to real-ize that there's no such thing as a free lunch: If you want peace and security, you have to pay for it," he said.
KMT Chairman Lien Chan (連戰), however, said that the time was not right for the legislature to handle the request and that the Cabinet should be using the budget for other things.
"The government should be allocating the nation's limited resources to solve urgent social problems such as unemployment, poverty and education to make the country a better place," he told the party's national congress yesterday morning.
Lien said that the amount the Cabinet requested would increase over time because of "maintenance fees."
Also See Story:
Thousands protest against arms deal
‘A DISASTER’: A successful Chinese attack on Taiwan would undermine the credibility of US security guarantees and could result in a global depression, three experts wrote A Chinese takeover of Taiwan would be a geopolitical catastrophe for the US and its allies, one that would overshadow almost all others over the next decade, US policy experts said. Andrew Erickson, a professor of strategy in the US Naval War College’s China Maritime Studies Institute; Gabriel Collins, a fellow at Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy; and former US deputy national security adviser Matthew Pottinger issued the warning in an article published on Tuesday in Foreign Affairs. Bejing’s invasion or annexation of Taiwan “would be a disaster of utmost importance to the United States, and I am convinced that
Taiwanese businesspeople’s investments in China last year hit a record low of 11.4 percent of total foreign investment, the Mainland Affairs Council said yesterday. The number was a huge decline from 83.8 percent in 2010, mainly because Taiwanese businesspeople have been diversifying their investments globally over the past few years, with great success, the council said. From 1991 to last year, 45,523 Taiwanese investments in China totaling US$206.37 billion had been approved, accounting for 50.7 percent of overall foreign investment, data from the Ministry of Economic Affairs’ Investment Commission showed. The amount and proportion of Taiwanese investments in China has been declining, with
Taiwanese tourists on board a Kinmen cruise ship had a scare yesterday when it was intercepted by Chinese coast guards who forcefully boarded the vessel to inspect it. The Sunrise, a tourism ferry that operates between Kinmen and Xiamen, China, was sailing around the waters around the islets of Dadan (大膽) and Erdan (二膽) — both of which are part of Kinmen County — yesterday afternoon when it encountered personnel from China’s Fujian Coast Guard Bureau. China Coast Guard personnel forced their way on board and conducted an inspection for about 30 minutes before leaving, local media cited the tourists as saying. The
CHINA’S VERSION: The TAO threatened Taiwan and denied the existence of restricted waters around Kinmen County after two Chinese died fleeing the Taiwanese coast guard Taiwan would continue to enforce the law in restricted waters around Kinmen County, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday. The council was responding after China’s Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO) spokeswoman Zhu Fenglian (朱鳳蓮) on Saturday rejected the existence of restricted waters around Kinmen County — a group of Taiwanese islands close to China’s coast — and said that Beijing reserves the right to take further measures after two Chinese died in the area. The two died on Wednesday after the speedboat they were in capsized while they were being pursued by Taiwanese Coast Guard Administration (CGA) officials. The speedboat had entered