The head of Kaohsiung's MRT system offered to resign yesterday to take responsibility for subsidence on Monday that led to the evacuation and condemning of surrounding buildings in the fourth construction mishap to hit the project in three months.
"The recent accidents have occurred in Yencheng and Kushan districts. If it isn't possible to overcome the geological and technical difficulties in this area, then maybe we should put a stop to construction," Kaohsiung Mayor Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) said yesterday.
PHOTO: CHANG CHUNG-YI, TAIPEI TIMES
The mishap at the construction site for Shitzuwan Station on the MRT's Orange Line affected an area of 500m2 and led to the evacuation of at least 24 residents from nearby homes.
PHOTO: HUANG HSIU-CHIH, TAIPEI TIMES
The accident caused four three-story buildings to sink precipitously, and Hsieh yesterday ordered that all of the buildings be torn down.
Evacuated families are now staying at a nearby hotel. Each household will be paid NT$10,000 in consolation money in addition to NT$300,000 in compensation.
Hsieh also said that Chou Li-liang (
However, Hsieh said he told Chou to stay at his post during the aftermath of the accident before submitting a formal letter of resignation.
Hsieh would not comment on whether Chou would be removed, saying only that he would deal with any letter of resignation "appropriately."
Cabinet Spokesman Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) yesterday said that the Orange Line passes through an area with a high level of sand in the soil and was therefore prone to instability. But he added that construction in the area was not impossible and that the incident would not likely warrant a complete halt to construction.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications, which is financing 57 percent of the Kao-hsiung MRT budget, is also expected to hold a meeting on Friday to discuss the accident. It has already sent officials to Kaohsiung to oversee the handling of the matter.
Local media reported that the ministry had phoned the Department of Rapid Transit Systems and ordered that construction be temporarily halted in the affected area and that changes to the project be made within six months. The ministry said that it was confident the central government would not need to take over the project.
Chou yesterday said that the situation at the scene of the accident was under control. He said cement had been pumped into the site to stop water from flooding the station.
Additionally, except for 50 families whose telephone service also remains cut, electricity and the water supply have returned to normal in the neighborhood.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats