The US military was to allow journalists inside a review hearing for a second day yesterday to observe as a three-member panel considered the case of another detainee among hundreds accused of ties to al-Qaeda or the Taliban militia that used to rule Afghanistan.
During hearings Thursday, two Afghan detainees pleaded for their freedom, both saying they were with Taliban forces but never fought against US troops.
The first detainee, 31, spoke quietly through a Pashto interpreter to declare he had a Taliban-issued rifle but wasn't involved in battle. "I wasn't going to fight anyone," he said.
The other prisoner, 49, said through an interpreter that he was a wood seller who was forced to join the Islamic militia. "The Taliban came to my house and they took me," said the man, who had a full gray beard and closely shorn hair.
The hearings, held in a windowless 3m-by-6m room in a trailer, were the ninth and 10th since the tribunal process began last week to determine whether some 585 prisoners at the US military prison should continue to be held as "enemy combatants."
The hearings are the first opportunity detainees have had to formally plead their cases since they began arriving at Guantanamo in January 2002. But human rights lawyers criticize the hearings as a sham, pointing out detainees are not allowed lawyers and saying the officers hearing cases can't be considered impartial.
The detainees wore orange garb as they sat before the panels, hands and feet bound and chained to a metal ring in the floor.
Journalists were barred from releasing detainees' names or taking photos. They were allowed to see about an hour of the first hearing Thursday, and more than a half hour of the second before the proceedings were closed so panel members could review classified information.
During the second hearing, the 49-year-old Afghan said the Taliban forced him to go to the city of Kunduz, where he was held in a compound with an armed guard posted outside.
"We could not leave the compound," the man said. "They were sending people by numbers to fight," he said, adding that he was never called.
The detainee asked to call three witnesses to support his argument that he was forced to join the Taliban, but the tribunal president refused, saying that wasn't relevant.
Both Afghan detainees said they had surrendered to a Northern Alliance commander, Abdul Rashid Dostum, an Uzbek strongman.
After surrendering, the 49-year-old said he and other captives were brought to Shiberghan, where the Northern Alliance loaded them into shipping containers and closed the doors. "In that container, some of the people died because it was too hot," he said.
The 31-year-old Afghan acknowledged he had a Taliban-issued Kalashnikov rifle but said it was given to him "forcefully." "They were giving [rifles] to everybody," he said.
Asked by a tribunal official whether he had surrendered in a car with a Taliban leader, he said "yes."
The review panels have the power to recommend reversing assessments that detainees are "enemy combatants," a classification that gives them fewer legal protections than prisoner-of-war status. The initial decisions have yet to be announced; officials say they could be by next week.
The process is separate from military commissions that are to try an initial group of four detainees on war crimes conspiracy and other charges. Pretrial hearings for those cases are planned later this month.
The military convened the Combatant Status Review Tribunals in response to a Supreme Court ruling in June that prisoners have a right to challenge their detention in US courts.
Each detainee is being assigned a military officer as a "personal representative" for the reviews. Defense lawyers argue that officer is acting as a government agent and is not impartial.
So far, five detainees -- three Yemenis, one Saudi and one Moroccan -- have refused to appear before the panels.
Military officials say detainees who have attended hearings include a Pakistani fighter linked to the Taliban, an Algerian who has threatened to kill Americans if freed and a Yemeni who signed an oath of allegiance to Osama bin Laden.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats