Sudan denounced a UN Security Council resolution that gave the government 30 days to stem ethnic violence in the western Darfur region or face sanctions, saying Khartoum needed international help, not threats.
Sudan said the resolution, passed 13-0 on Friday, violates a previous agreement with UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, in which the UN promised to crack down on the militias who have killed thousands of people and forced more than 1 million to flee.
"Sudan expresses its deep sorrow that the issue of Darfur has quickly entered the Security Council and has been hijacked from its regional arena," Information Minister El-Zahawi Ibrahim Malik said in a statement.
But the violence has continued despite a cease-fire called last month and Sudanese promises of a crackdown. The African countries on the council -- Algeria, Angola and Benin -- backed the US-sponsored resolution.
"We believe that the international community cannot be passive and indifferent to the ongoing humanitarian crisis ... or to the horrendous crimes committed against the civilian populations," Algerian UN ambassador Abdallah Baali told the council on behalf of the three countries.
The US didn't specify what sanctions might be considered but said the council issued a tough warning to Sudan to rein in the militias, known as Janjaweed.
Meanwhile, France on Friday ordered its troops stationed in Chad to provide security along the border with the Darfur region, as Khartoum vowed a general mobilization against any foreign military intervention.
French President Jacques Chirac ordered the mobilization of troops already stationed in Chad to assist with the situation.
France also said it would make military transport available to bring in humanitarian aid.
Some 200,000 Sudanese have fled the fighting to Chad, where their security is also precarious.
Asked about the Sudanese rejection of the Security Council resolution, US Secretary of State Colin Powell said in Kuwait that the Security Council had delivered a strong message.
"They [the Sudanese] can say whatever they wish to say," Powell said. "The Security Council has spoken, in a rather strong vote. The issue now is to move forward and help the suffering people of Darfur. I hope Sudan will use the time provided in the resolution to do everything it can to bring the Janjaweed under control."
The resolution demands that Sudan disarm the Arab militias and requires states to prevent the sale or supply of weapons and ammunition to individuals and groups, including the Janjaweed, operating in the Darfur region.
The document was adopted after extensive debate over the use of the word "sanctions," which the US removed from its final version after several countries objected to the explicit threat. The US and other supporters, however, insisted that the threat of sanctions remain.
"The resolution in stern and unambiguous terms puts the Sudanese government on notice," US ambassador John Danforth said. "Sudan must know that serious measures -- international sanctions -- are looming if the government refuses to do so."
The resolution requires Annan to report to the Security Council every 30 days on Sudan's progress.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats