Pakistan's leaders and parliament yesterday condemned the apparent killing of two of its citizens kidnapped in Iraq, while the slain men's grieving families pleaded with their killers to release the bodies for proper burial.
In a strongly worded statement issued to the state-run news agency, President General Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain said they had "received with the greatest distress and anguish the news of the reported murder of two Pakistanis."
"Those who have committed this crime have caused the greatest harm both to humanity and Islam," their statement said.
Parliament called the killings a "brutal act" that shocked the entire nation.
Earlier, Foreign Minister Khursheed Kasuri told the National Assembly, or lower house of parliament, that the government was in touch with Iraqi clerics and other officials and was hoping to recover the bodies of the deceased men.
Kasuri said the government will also seek compensation from the men's employers.
Pakistani Geo television showed the sisters and mother of one of the slain men, Raja Azad, wailing and beating their chests in anguish.
In Rawalakot, a mountain district in Pakistani Kashmir, the other man's father made an emotional appeal to the Pakistani government to help get his son's body.
"My son cannot come back to us but they should return his body," said Mohammed Naeem, whose son, Sajid Naeem, worked as a driver in Iraq before he was seized by militants and reportedly killed.
"You cannot imagine the agony we are passing through," he said, his voice choking with emotions as relatives and neighbors gathered to offer condolences.
Musharraf and Hussain reiterated Pakistan's commitment to the security and independence of Iraq and said they hoped that Iraq and its people would achieve complete security and stability, free of internal and external turmoil.
The reaction came shortly after an Iraqi militant group claimed that it had killed two Pakistani hostages but freed their Iraqi driver, according to al Jazeera television.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats