The University of California at Berkeley will turn away new students from Taiwan this summer in what is believed to be the first such move by a major US university to prevent the spread of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).
The decision, which also applies to China, Singapore and Hong Kong, affects several hundred students who were planning to attend Berkeley for summer school, which begins May 27. Instead, those students will get their money back.
There have been no cases of SARS at Berkeley, which has a very large enrollment from the Asian regions hit hard by the potentially deadly virus.
"After close consultation with several public health officials and campus experts, and based on the strong recommendation of the City of Berkeley Health Officer, I deeply regret that we will not be accepting enrollments of students from these areas," campus Chancellor Robert Berdahl said in an message posted Friday on the university's Web site.
While many American universities have wrestled with how to deal with SARS, Berkeley's outright ban on incoming students is unusual.
Victor Johnson, executive director of the Association of International Educators in Washington, which promotes the exchange of scholars to and from the US, had not heard of any other school taking such a step.
Berdahl said Berkeley decided on a ban because students coming from SARS-affected areas would have to be monitored for 10 days, and if any developed SARS-related symptoms, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention would require elaborate precautions, including "isolation and other labor-intensive measures that we are not able to provide currently."
University officials are working on creating such a system, Associate Chancellor John Cummins said Monday.
Students who go home to these countries for the summer, and new students arriving from Taiwan, China, Singapore and Hong Kong for the fall semester, will be required to fill out detailed questionnaires, and will be monitored by university health officials for 10 days after they arrive at Berkeley, Berdahl wrote.
"I think it's understandable," said Vicky Choy, a junior from Hong Kong who already decided not to go home this summer because of SARS. Her parents had planned to visit her in California but called it off for fear the long plane trip could expose them to sick passengers.
‘A DISASTER’: A successful Chinese attack on Taiwan would undermine the credibility of US security guarantees and could result in a global depression, three experts wrote A Chinese takeover of Taiwan would be a geopolitical catastrophe for the US and its allies, one that would overshadow almost all others over the next decade, US policy experts said. Andrew Erickson, a professor of strategy in the US Naval War College’s China Maritime Studies Institute; Gabriel Collins, a fellow at Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy; and former US deputy national security adviser Matthew Pottinger issued the warning in an article published on Tuesday in Foreign Affairs. Bejing’s invasion or annexation of Taiwan “would be a disaster of utmost importance to the United States, and I am convinced that
Taiwanese businesspeople’s investments in China last year hit a record low of 11.4 percent of total foreign investment, the Mainland Affairs Council said yesterday. The number was a huge decline from 83.8 percent in 2010, mainly because Taiwanese businesspeople have been diversifying their investments globally over the past few years, with great success, the council said. From 1991 to last year, 45,523 Taiwanese investments in China totaling US$206.37 billion had been approved, accounting for 50.7 percent of overall foreign investment, data from the Ministry of Economic Affairs’ Investment Commission showed. The amount and proportion of Taiwanese investments in China has been declining, with
Taiwanese tourists on board a Kinmen cruise ship had a scare yesterday when it was intercepted by Chinese coast guards who forcefully boarded the vessel to inspect it. The Sunrise, a tourism ferry that operates between Kinmen and Xiamen, China, was sailing around the waters around the islets of Dadan (大膽) and Erdan (二膽) — both of which are part of Kinmen County — yesterday afternoon when it encountered personnel from China’s Fujian Coast Guard Bureau. China Coast Guard personnel forced their way on board and conducted an inspection for about 30 minutes before leaving, local media cited the tourists as saying. The
KINMEN: Coast guards on both sides of the Taiwan Strait should prohibit the entry of illegal vessels into ‘restricted’ waters to uphold maritime safety, Chen Chien-jen said Premier Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) yesterday called for both sides of the Taiwan Strait to approach the security of Kinmen and Xiamen waters with rationality and equitability, following a boat chase that resulted in the death of two Chinese fishers last week. Chen was responding to media inquiries ahead of a legislative session amid rising cross-strait tensions following the capsizing of a Chinese speedboat off the east coast of Kinmen on Wednesday last week during a pursuit by the Taiwanese coast guard. The Ministry of National Defense established the boundaries of “prohibited” and “restricted” waters around Kinmen in 1992 to better protect