China yesterday quarantined 10,000 more citizens in its desperate efforts to contain severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) as panic riots hit rural areas despite global successes in halting the spread of the virus.
Nine new deaths from SARS and 160 new cases were reported in China yesterday, bringing the death toll to 206 and the total cases to 4,280 in what remains the worst-affected country.
Hong Kong reported three more fatalities, the lowest single-day death toll since April 12, fuelling optimism that the outbreak may have peaked in the territory. The total deaths from the disease in Hong Kong now stand at 187.
Canada, meanwhile, reported just one new "probable" case of SARS on Sunday, bringing further hope that the outbreak in the country has been brought under control.
A World Health Organization (WHO) advisory against travel to Toronto was lifted last week but WHO advisories on travel to Hong Kong, Beijing and China's Guangdong and Shanxi provinces remain.
"We are pleased the daily SARS cases has to dropped to the single digits," Hong Kong Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa (董建華) said, adding he hoped talks with the WHO would also lift the region's travel ban.
In the eastern Chinese city of Nanjing, 10,000 people were quarantined in an effort to halt the spread of SARS, while villagers in two remote areas destroyed quarantine centers and beat up officials, a sign the disease was creating social instability across the country.
"Several people have been detained as a result of the incident," a police official in Yuhuan county in Zhejiang Province said.
In another incident, villagers rioted from April 25 to 28 in Linzhou city, Henan Province, ransacking a planned SARS quarantine center and other medical facilities, Zhou Dawei, a local Linzhou official said.
The Linzhou riot resulted in the sacking of the director of the city's health bureau Wang Songlin and the city's infectious diseases station head Wang Yuxi last Friday, Zhou said. At least 13 people were arrested following the incident.
In Beijing however, confidence in official government reports that SARS was being brought under control prompted many people to "prematurely" lower their guards against the virus, taking to once deserted streets.
"There's a lot more analysis that needs to be done, and we think it's premature to make that kind of assessment," said Mangai Balasegaram, the WHO's Beijing-based spokeswoman.
In another development yesterday, the official China Daily reported that most of Beijing's 80 reservoirs have been put under isolation to prevent the SARS virus from entering the city's water supply. It said swimming, fishing and other recreation activities had been halted in the latest measures enforced by the government to prevent the spread of SARS.
More than 15,000 people have been quarantined in the capital, where 103 people have died from the disease and 1,897 have been infected.
State media said up to 55 senior officials and hospital directors have also been sacked for failing to set up quarantine areas and impose regulations, while lower-level medical personnel were quitting over safety fears.
On the scientific front, new research has emerged which shows that the SARS virus is more resilient than first thought and can survive for weeks outside the human body.
WHEELING AND DEALING? Hou You-yi, Ko Wen-je, Eric Chu and Ma Ying-jeou are under investigation for allegedly offering bribes for the other side to drop out of the race Taipei prosecutors have started an investigation into allegations that four top politicians involved in attempts to form a “blue-white” presidential ticket have contravened election regulations. Listed as defendants are Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) presidential candidate and New Taipei City Mayor Hou You-yi (侯友宜), KMT Chairman Eric Chu (朱立倫), former president Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) of the KMT and Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman and presidential candidate Ko Wen-je (柯文哲). The case stemmed from judicial complaints filed last month with the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office alleging that the KMT (blue) and the TPP (white) had engaged in bribery by offering money or other enticements
COUNTER DISINFORMATION: More engagement and media literacy are needed to push back against misinformation and claims that the US is an unreliable partner, the AIT director said The US is “confident” that Taiwan does not face an imminent threat of a Chinese invasion, American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) Director Sandra Oudkirk told a US public radio show, adding that Washington remains committed to defensively arming the nation. She made the comment during an interview on All Things Considered, broadcast on Friday on US-based National Public Radio. “There is an important distinction between making plans and training troops, and getting ready to do something,” Oudkirk said, on whether she thinks Beijing plans to attack Taiwan in the near future. Chinese officials have told Washington that “their preference is for peaceful reunification,
EXPOSED: Some Taipei wardens reported joining the trips out of peer pressure, while others said they were relieved it was made public so they could refuse, a city councilor said Nearly 30 percent of Taipei borough wardens have joined group tours to China that were partially funded by the Chinese government, leading prosecutors probing potential Chinese interference in January’s elections to question local officials, an investigation showed. Democratic Progressive Party Taipei City councilors Chien Shu-pei (簡舒培) and Chen E-jun (陳怡君) have reported cases of Taipei borough wardens inviting residents to join inexpensive privately organized group tours to China that were partially funded by the Chinese government. The six-day trips reportedly cost NT$10,000 to NT$15,000, the councilors said. An investigation by the Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) showed that nearly 30 percent
ELIGIBLE FOR JANUARY: All presidential candidates and their running mates meet the requirements to run for office, and none hold dual citizenship, the CEC said Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Legislator and vice presidential candidate Cynthia Wu (吳欣盈) is working with the Central Election Commission (CEC) to resolve issues with her financial disclosure statement, a spokesman for the candidate said yesterday, after the commission published the statements of all three presidential candidates and their running mates, while confirming their eligibility to run in the Jan. 13 election. Wu’s office spokesman, Chen Yu-cheng (陳宥丞), said the candidate encountered unforeseen difficulties disclosing her husband’s finances due to being suddenly thrust into the campaign. She is also the first vice presidential nominee to have a foreign spouse, complicating the reporting of