Despite the minister of justice's repeated calls to establish a national fingerprint bank, the Executive Yuan yesterday reiterated that it is against the idea because it believes such an archive would violate human rights.
"Protecting human rights is always our top priority. We won't support the proposal unless human rights groups accept it," Cabinet Spokesman Chuang Suo-hang (
Yu made the remark after Minister of Justice Chen Ding-nan (
According to Chuang, Chen used yesterday's meeting to clarify the differences between two ideas that he has proposed on the matter.
"The idea of adding fingerprints to identification cards and passports is different from that of establishing a national fingerprint bank, which I previously proposed," Chen said.
He said that adding thumbprints to ID cards and passports would help prevent theft of the documents in addition to helping identify their owners.
"[The move would] protect not only individual privacy, but also human rights," Chen said.
Minister Without Portfolio Hsu Chih-hsiung (許志雄), however, disagreed with Chen's position during the meeting.
"Although it can be useful in cracking a case, don't overly rely on fingerprint evidence," Hsu said. "Making fingerprinting mandatory infringes on human rights and individual privacy."
Hsu added that not a single democratic country in the world makes it compulsory to take the fingerprints of its citizens.
"Even Japan, which established a fingerprint bank of foreigners some 10 years ago, nullified the practice because of pressure from both home and abroad," he said.
The Executive Yuan made its stance clear on May 31 when it rejected one article in the Household Registration Law (
The article would have required that every ROC citizen over the age of 14 provide their fingerprints when issued with photo identification cards.
The proposal of establishing a national fingerprint databank was first raised in a 1997 amendment to the Household Registration Law. The proposal was later rejected because human rights groups lobbied against it.
In the wake of difficulties in identifying victims of the May 25 crash of a China Airlines jetliner, Chen rekindled the issue, saying that the database was necessary. Chen's proposal prompted the premier to ask the Ministry of the Interior to re-evaluate the idea.
The arrest earlrier this month of two suspects in the murder of former Hsinhu Elementary School teacher Wu Hsiao-hui (吳曉蕙) based on fingerprint evidence once again raised calls for the establishment of a fingerprint database.
Some law enforcement officers and lawmakers have argued that since it took the police eight years to make a breakthrough in the Wu case, human rights might actually be better protected if there was a national fingerprint database.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats