Relief workers yesterday battled to deliver aid to millions affected by Asia's devastating floods, as monsoon rains and storms continued to wreak havoc across the region.
While tropical storm Vongfong skirted Vietnam, giving disaster response teams breathing space to reach flooded regions, it dumped fresh rain on China, where an estimated 900 people have died in floods this summer.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Flood waters from both countries were also moving south towards Cambodia's Mekong Delta, threatening surrounding crops and villages, officials in Phnom Penh said.
Chinese officials said the massive Dongting Lake, a buffer for the mighty Yangtze River, had surged above danger levels and could pose a threat to vast tracts of farmland and some 10 million people living around it.
Chinese officials said there that if the lake were to breach its banks, areas around it could be hit by massive floods comparable to those of 1998 that left some 4,000 people dead.
"The lake is above warning marks in a number of places," an official from the Hunan Anti-Flood Bureau headquarters in the provincial capital of Changsha said.
Up to 40,000 officials and workers have been sent to fortify embankments around the 2,800km2 lake.
Water levels in the traditional danger spot of Chenglingji, where the Yangtze exits the lake, were already above warning marks yesterday.
At 8am the waters were almost 1.5m above the 32m flood-warning marks, said an official at the anti-flood bureau of nearby Changde city.
The China Daily estimated that more than 10 million people and some 667,000 hectares of farmland around the lake were under threat.
The death toll from devastating floods and landslides in Yunnan Province meanwhile has hit 231, state media said. It said some 21 million people have been affected in the province.
Meteorologists warned that Vongfong, which hit Guangdong Province on Monday, was expected to dump additional rain over Hunan Province as it moves across the country.
In Vietnam, disaster response teams yesterday cleared roads to allow vehicles to reach flooded regions after Vongfong spared the country.
Twenty-seven people died in flash floods in the mountainous north in four days of flooding that swept away houses, bridges and roads and triggered landslides.
Most of the deaths were in the north-central province of Ha Giang, bordering China.
Officials said so far more than 800 people have been killed in flooding and landslides caused by heavy monsoon rains in South Asia.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats