Some 600 relatives of Sept. 11 victims filed a lawsuit seeking more than US$100 trillion from the Sudanese government and Saudi officials, banks and charities, charging they financed Osama bin Laden's network and the attacks on the US.
The 15-count federal lawsuit, modeled after action filed against Libya in the Pan Am Flight 103 disaster, seeks to cripple banks, charities and some members of the Saudi royal family as a deterrent to terrorist financing schemes.
But the suit also is therapeutic for relatives of the victims, who acknowledge they face long odds of collecting anything.
"It's not the money. We want to do something to get at these people," said Irene Spina, whose daughter, Lisa Trerotola, 38, perished in the World Trade Center.
"There's nothing else we can do," she said.
"This is the right thing to do," said Matt Sellito, father of Matthew Carmen Sellito, 23, who also died in the World Trade Center.
"If the odds are stacked against us, we will beat them," Sellito said.
The 258-page complaint, filed electronically Thursday in US District Court in Alexandria, Virginia, seeks "an amount in excess of US$100 trillion" and charges the defendants with racketeering, wrongful death, negligence and conspiracy.
Lead attorney Ron Motley said the money would likely come largely from assets held by the defendants in the US.
He said the plaintiffs were after more institutions than those whose assets already have been frozen by the US and other governments.
The complaint also ignores US President George W. Bush's administration's delicate diplomatic balancing act with Saudi Arabia by bluntly blaming the kingdom's officials and institutions for the attacks.
"That kingdom sponsors terrorism," Motley told reporters at a news conference. "This is an insidious group of people."
The complaint names more than seven dozen defendants, including the government of Sudan, seven banks, eight Islamic foundations and three Saudi princes.
Those listed include Princes Mohammed al-Faisal and former intelligence chief Turki al-Faisal, Saudi Defense Minister Sultan bin Abdul Aziz al Saud, Khalid bin Salim bin Mahfouz of the National Commercial Bank and the Faisal Islamic Bank.
Officials from the Saudi Embassy did not immediately return a call for comment.
Bush's administration has been careful not to blame the Saudi government for the attacks in its drive build a coalition for its war against terrorism.
Prince Saud, the Saudi foreign minister, said last week that the 70-year-old US-Saudi alliance was as solid now as before the Sept. 11 attacks on the US.
He said bin Laden, who was stripped of Saudi citizenship and is accused of directing the al-Qaeda attacks, had intended to drive a wedge between the two countries when he chose 15 Saudi citizens to be among the 19 hijackers.
Several plaintiffs, fighting tears, said they would dedicate the rest of their lives to punishing those who financed the attacks.
"We will succeed because we have the facts and the law on our side," said Thomas Burnett Sr, whose son, Thomas Burnett Jr, led a passenger revolt against the hijackers of United Airlines Flight 93 and died when it plummeted to the ground.
"We have justice and morality on our side," he added.
In May, lawyers announced that a group of Libyans had negotiated a deal that would give US$10 million each to the families of those killed when Pan Am Flight 103 was blown up over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988.
But Libya insisted the group did not have authorization from the government to negotiate.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary