Vice President Annette Lu's (呂秀蓮) overseas trip took a U-turn yesterday as she secured entry into the Indonesian capital of Jakarta and met with congressmen in the evening after having met two Indonesian ministers in the Indonesian resort of Bali.
A close aide to the vice president said Lu's flight from Bali early yesterday afternoon, as well as her subsequent landing at a Jakarta air base, plus her meetings with congressmen in the evening had been arranged long ago.
Lu, who told reporters in Bali yesterday that she would be "gone with the wind" when asked to clarify her next stop, boarded a chartered plane early yesterday afternoon which later landed at a Jakarta air base.
The Indonesian media said that Lu entered Jakarta from the air base by car, accompanied by plainclothes presidential guard escorts.
"This indicates the preferential treatment [Indonesian officials have given her]," said Peter Cheng (鄭博久), director-general of the Ministry of Foreign Affair's department of Asian and Pacific affairs.
Lu and her entourage checked in at the Darmawangsa Hotel in Jakarta, before meeting with Indonesian congressmen in the evening, a source in Jakarta told the Taipei Times.
Meanwhile, a senior Indonesian official said yesterday that two Indonesian ministers had also held talks with Lu on Thursday on the resort island of Bali.
Indonesian Labor Minister Jacob Nua Wea met with Lu on Thursday evening to discuss the status of the estimated 97,000 Indonesian workers in Taiwan, said the official, who declined to be named.
Environmental Minister Nabiel Makarim also met with Lu, the official said, explaining the two were friends during their studies at Harvard University.
Indonesian Foreign Minister Hassan Wirayuda reiterated on Friday Indonesia's adherence to its "one China" policy and said no government officials would meet Lu.
Lu arrived in Jakarta on Wednesday afternoon where she was denied entry into the capital. She then flew to Bali in what officials called "vacation diplomacy."
Lu and other government officials had been tight-lipped about where Lu was headed after Bali, although Lu had said on Thursday that she might go to the Philippines' Subic Bay or Australia.
But a presidential office source told the Taipei Times that those remarks could have been an attempt by Lu to distract Beijing.
A Taiwanese businessman based in Subic Bay said he hadn't heard anything about Lu visiting the area.
"I have never heard that she was supposed to come to Subic Bay today," Hsing Sheng-tao (邢聲濤), secretary-general of the Taiwanese Businessmen Association in Subic Bay, told the Taipei Times.
Meanwhile, Agung Laksono, a youth minister during the administration of former Indonesian president Suharto, said Lu would head for Australia on Sunday.
But Australian officials said they had not yet received any request for a visa from Lu.
Laksono said he and some business executives had had a "friendly and private" visit with Lu after her Jakarta arrival, adding that some politicians would also see her during her stay.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats