Former Hsinchu City Bureau of Cultural Affairs chief Chu Mei-feng (
"I want to cut off all relations and connections between Tsai and myself from now on," Chu said before she entered a pretrial hearing regarding her sex-VCD scandal at the Taipei District Court yesterday.
"I don't care what other people might think of me. I don't want to sue him anymore. Let bygones be bygones."
According to Chung Yung-sheng (鍾永盛), Chu's lawyer, Chu arrived at his office on Tuesday afternoon and told him that she wanted to drop the charge against Tsai.
"I explained the costs and effects of the plan to her and asked her to think twice, but she insisted on going ahead," Chung said.
While Tsai will now be listed as a witness in the case instead of a defendant, Chu was less forgiving toward two other defendants in the case.
"I will never forgive Kuo Yu-ling (
Kuo was a friend and spiritual teacher of Chu. Kuo and Kao have both been charged with invasion of privacy along with Tsai.
However, Article 239 of the Criminal Code says that by dropping the charge against Tsai, the same charge against Kuo and Kao will be automatically dropped as well.
Invasion of privacy is a criminal charge but can be dropped at the request of the plaintiff.
However, prosecutors are pursuing charges against several defendants, including Kao and Kuo, for other offences against privacy, offending public morals and forging documents.
Kuo allegedly planted a hidden camera in Chu's Tamsui apartment last year with the help of Tsai, Chu's former lover, and recorded material of Chu having sex with a married man.
Kuo then, along with her daughter, allegedly sold the material to Scoop magazine, which released it on a VCD that was distributed in a December edition.
Senior Prosecutor Lin Jinn-tsun's (林錦村) indictment suggested a four-year sentence for Kuo; a two-year-and-two-month sentence for Scoop magazine President Shen Yeh (沈野); a one-year-and-four-month sentence for his daughter, Shen Jung (沈嶸), who is also the publisher for the magazine; and a one-year-and-10-month sentence for Shen Yeh's assistant, Wei An (韋安).
Without suggesting sentences, the indictment also names Kao; Scoop magazine employees Lin Jia-nan (
Chung-ti Technology was the company that produced and duplicated the VCD for the magazine.
Chung said that Chu's civil claim of NT$50 million from Kuo, Kao and Tsai would be dropped along with the invasion of privacy charges.
However, she is pursuing other claims for damages of NT$20.6 million from Kuo; NT$60 million from Shen Yeh, Shen Jung, Wei, Lin Jia-nan, Shao, Wang Hsu-yun and Wang Ya-wei, and NT$3 million from Hu.
A further pre-trial hearing is scheduled for today.
‘A DISASTER’: A successful Chinese attack on Taiwan would undermine the credibility of US security guarantees and could result in a global depression, three experts wrote A Chinese takeover of Taiwan would be a geopolitical catastrophe for the US and its allies, one that would overshadow almost all others over the next decade, US policy experts said. Andrew Erickson, a professor of strategy in the US Naval War College’s China Maritime Studies Institute; Gabriel Collins, a fellow at Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy; and former US deputy national security adviser Matthew Pottinger issued the warning in an article published on Tuesday in Foreign Affairs. Bejing’s invasion or annexation of Taiwan “would be a disaster of utmost importance to the United States, and I am convinced that
Taiwanese businesspeople’s investments in China last year hit a record low of 11.4 percent of total foreign investment, the Mainland Affairs Council said yesterday. The number was a huge decline from 83.8 percent in 2010, mainly because Taiwanese businesspeople have been diversifying their investments globally over the past few years, with great success, the council said. From 1991 to last year, 45,523 Taiwanese investments in China totaling US$206.37 billion had been approved, accounting for 50.7 percent of overall foreign investment, data from the Ministry of Economic Affairs’ Investment Commission showed. The amount and proportion of Taiwanese investments in China has been declining, with
Taiwanese tourists on board a Kinmen cruise ship had a scare yesterday when it was intercepted by Chinese coast guards who forcefully boarded the vessel to inspect it. The Sunrise, a tourism ferry that operates between Kinmen and Xiamen, China, was sailing around the waters around the islets of Dadan (大膽) and Erdan (二膽) — both of which are part of Kinmen County — yesterday afternoon when it encountered personnel from China’s Fujian Coast Guard Bureau. China Coast Guard personnel forced their way on board and conducted an inspection for about 30 minutes before leaving, local media cited the tourists as saying. The
KINMEN: Coast guards on both sides of the Taiwan Strait should prohibit the entry of illegal vessels into ‘restricted’ waters to uphold maritime safety, Chen Chien-jen said Premier Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) yesterday called for both sides of the Taiwan Strait to approach the security of Kinmen and Xiamen waters with rationality and equitability, following a boat chase that resulted in the death of two Chinese fishers last week. Chen was responding to media inquiries ahead of a legislative session amid rising cross-strait tensions following the capsizing of a Chinese speedboat off the east coast of Kinmen on Wednesday last week during a pursuit by the Taiwanese coast guard. The Ministry of National Defense established the boundaries of “prohibited” and “restricted” waters around Kinmen in 1992 to better protect