Indian Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee yesterday ruled out talks with Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf as the two leaders left for a conference in central Asia.
With feverish international efforts under way to head off conflict between the nuclear foes, Vajpayee offered no hope that the conference in Almaty, Kazakhstan, would produce a breakthrough.
"There is no such plan," Vajpayee told reporters, referring to the prospects of meeting Musharraf at the 16-nation conference. But he said he would give "serious consideration" to talks if there was evidence Musharraf was making good on his promise to curb militant raids into Indian Kashmir.
India has said Vajpayee would raise what he calls Pakistani-sponsored "cross-border terrorism" during the three-day meeting.
Russian President Vladimir Putin will hold talks with both leaders at the conference and is anxious to broker face-to-face talks between the two. Musharraf has said he is willing to talk with Vajpayee at the conference.
Western nations have urged tens of thousands of their nationals to leave the area immediately.
India's defense secretary, Yogendra Narain, told the magazine Outlook that if militants struck again, surgical strikes by India on militant bases would be the "realistic option," not all-out war.
Analysts believe even a limited strike across the border by Indian forces could spark war -- and that faced with overwhelming military odds Pakistan might quickly unleash its nuclear arsenal. India has ruled out first use of nuclear weapons, while Pakistan has not.
Musharraf has sought to ease fears that the standoff with India would lead to nuclear conflict.
"I don't think either side is that irresponsible to go to that limit," he told CNN Saturday. "I would even go to the extent of saying one shouldn't even be discussing these things, because any sane individual cannot even think of going into this unconventional war, whatever the pressures."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats