Saudi Arabia's rulers are growing more uncomfortable with the US military presence in their country and may soon ask that it end, The Washington Post reported yesterday.
Citing a senior Saudi official, the newspaper said senior Saudi rulers believe the US has "overstayed its welcome" and its forces have become a political liability.
The official told the newspaper that Saudi Arabia would prefer a less conspicuous military cooperation once the US campaign in Afghanistan is over.
If asked to leave, the US would no longer have regular use of the Prince Sultan Air Base, where American forces have maintained a presence since the 1991 Gulf War.
Washington's relationship with Saudi rulers has been strained by the Sept. 11 hijacked airliner attacks on the US that killed about 3,100 people and were blamed by the US on Saudi-born militant Osama bin Laden. Most of the 19 suspected hijackers were Saudi citizens.
The presence of US military forces in Saudi Arabia -- currently numbering about 5,000 -- has been repeatedly cited by bin Laden as a key reason for his violent opposition to Saudi rulers.
The Post said among the reasons Saudis give for deciding that it may be time for the Americans to go is that they do not want to appear to be dependent on US military support.
The American presence has become a political liability in domestic politics and in the Arab world, Saudi officials told the newspaper. The Post said the Saudi government has also become increasingly uncomfortable with a role in US efforts to contain Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.
The Post said that Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clarke declined to answer when asked whether Saudi Arabia has told the US it will ask for an American withdrawal.
"We have a very good relationship with the Saudis," she told the newspaper on Thursday night, and "we will continue to work with them in as cooperative a fashion as possible as we go forward."
Saudi officials who spoke about a US withdrawal told The Washington Post that nothing would be done precipitously. They said Crown Prince Abdullah -- the kingdom's effective ruler given the frail health of King Fahd -- did not want to create the impression that he was responding to pressure from bin Laden.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats