Hundreds of Afghan Taliban soldiers surrendered themselves to Northern Alliance forces outside of besieged Kunduz yesterday, loosening the hardline militia's grip on its last northern bastion.
Ethnic Uzbek general Rashid Dostum said about 600 fighters had surrendered to his forces to the west of the town.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Also, several hundred Taliban soldiers streamed out of Kunduz to the east, CNN television reported. It showed footage of a stream of fighters crossing a bridge at Bangi atop pick-up trucks and at least one tank and one armored personnel carrier.
Separately, the US military said up to 70 warplanes had struck Kandahar and the caves and mountains of southern Afghanistan on Friday in the hunt for Osama bin Laden.
It said it had dropped a 7,000kg "Daisy Cutter" bomb on Wednesday on the Taliban's main stronghold of Kandahar, at the center of the four southern provinces it still controls.
As efforts to establish a new, broad-based government for Afghanistan continued, former president Burhanuddin Rabbani, nominal leader of the Northern Alliance, said he would set aside personal ambition in the cause of consensus.
Kunduz is the last Taliban bastion in northern Afghanistan after lightning gains by the Northern Alliance on the back of a US bombing campaign, now seven weeks old, intended to eliminate the Taliban as punishment for harboring Osama bin Laden.
Surrender negotiations have been complicated by the presence of Arab, Pakistani and Chechen fighters loyal to bin Laden's al-Qaeda group -- the main target of Washington's war on terror -- who expect no mercy from the opposing forces who loathe them.
The discovery of up to 600 bodies in Mazar-i-Sharif, taken by Dostum two weeks ago, and Washington's determination that the defenders of Kunduz should not escape, have fuelled fears of a bloodbath, perhaps drawing in thousands of trapped civilians.
Pakistan, Britain, the international Red Cross and the UN have all expressed concern.
The Northern Alliance says foreign fighters who surrender will have to stand trial, but many al-Qaeda fighters are said to be determined to struggle to the death.Fighters with Alliance commander General Daoud Husaini, to the east of Kunduz, said that Dostum's representatives were in Kunduz conducting negotiations for the remainder of an estimated 15,000 defenders to surrender.
They said he had set a deadline of 5pm local time Sunday for the remaining troops to give up.
Reuters Television saw truckloads of fighters who had surrendered arrive outside Mazar-i-Sharif, held by Dostum, about 180km west of Kunduz.
"Six hundred people have surrendered to us. Some of them are foreign mercenaries," he said. "We will now separate the local Taliban forces from the foreigners."
Alliance commanders in the west said Afghan Taliban fighters who surrendered would be disarmed and then set free.
The focus of the American bombing has already shifted to the Kandahar region in the south, the Taliban's heartland.
The "Daisy Cutter" dropped near Kandahar -- designed to devastate an area 550m across and demoralize enemy forces -- was only the third used in the campaign so far.
Major Brad Lowell, a spokesman for US Central Command, said US jets were also systematically targeting caves and tunnels that might be used as hiding places by bin Laden and his al-Qaeda network.
The US military also said it might use the Pacific island of Guam, which is American territory, to imprison members of al-Qaeda captured in Afghanistan.
Hamid Karzai, a supporter of deposed Afghan monarch Zahir Shah, said his forces had cut off a key Taliban supply line by taking Tkhata Pul, on the road from Kandahar to the Pakistan.
But a Taliban spokesman as saying that Agha's forces had been pushed back in heavy fighting at Bala Zera, some 100km east of Kandahar.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary