China plans to invite the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture to visit for the first time "quite soon," in a sign it was serious about stamping out the problem, EU representatives said on Friday.
It was not immediately clear if the rapporteur, who investigates allegations of ill-treatment worldwide, would be allowed the same access to prisons and detention centers he is granted by other states to have ratified a UN torture treaty.
"Apparently, contacts have been [made] and plans are on the way for a visit quite soon by the Rapporteur on Torture. They have agreed in principle," said Michael Goblet D'Alviella, an EU representative in China for a regular human rights dialogue.
But the rapporteur, British law professor Sir Nigel Rodley, who has been negotiating the terms of a visit since 1999, said he had no contact with Chinese officials since last May.
He was unaware of any imminent trip, despite his concerns about "persistent allegations" of ill-treatment of Chinese detained in connection with political or religious activities, including members of the banned spiritual movement Falun Gong.
"Plans have not been conveyed to the Office of Human Rights in Geneva as far as I am informed," he said in Geneva.
In Beijing, diplomats welcomed the reported invitation. "This is an encouraging sign," said one Western diplomat. "It's been in the pipeline for a while.
"The question is on what terms he will visit -- would he have access to prisons? China wanted something more limited."
Rodley, who asked for a fact-finding mission, has previously been told by Beijing that it would agree only to a "friendly" visit, but he made clear that he required his usual terms.
"We still need to be agreed on methods of operation, including the right of access to places of detention which I choose without notice and unsupervised access to prisoners and detainees," Rodley said. "None of it is settled."
Rights groups have said torture and ill-treatment are common in China, despite being outlawed, and are rooted in endemic legal and institutional deficiencies.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats