The World Cup's opening ceremony in Seoul on Friday featured models wrapped in flowing silk gowns, dancers sporting flat-screen headdresses -- and 7,000 empty seats.
"It was a great ceremony," said Kim Jung-min, a manager at flat-screen maker Samsung Electronics Co, who attended the ceremony. "But I was surprised to see so many empty seats."
South Korea blamed the ticketing mixup on Byrom Consultants Ltd, a UK company in charge of ticket sales that also drew fire in Japan for missed deadlines and double-ticketing.
PHOTO: AFP
It wasn't an auspicious start for an event that South Korea and co-host Japan hope will spur spending and burnish their overseas images. South Korea lost 800 million won (US$650,000) on the first-day extravaganza, Maeil Business Daily reported.
South Korea has been keen to show off its progress in the 14 years since 1988, when it hosted the Olympic Games. Dancers at Asia's largest soccer stadium wore 100 thin flat-panel displays, valued at about 1 billion won. Donated by Samsung and LG Philips LCD Co, the screens displayed different scenes and underlined South Korea's grip on two fifths of the world flat panel market.
To prepare for the first World Cup in Asia since the tournament's inception in 1930, South Korea spent more than US$2 billion to build 10 soccer stadiums, including the 200 billion won it spent on the Seoul World Cup Stadium, which seats 64,640 people.
So far, however, South Korea and Japan have attracted fewer visitors than anticipated. About 48,000 people a day entered South Korea through Incheon International Airport in May, down from 56,000 in April. In Japan, about 40,000 entered per day, 10,000 fewer than officials had expected.
Of the eight matches held in South Korea and Japan in the first three days since Friday's kickoff, 92,932 seats were empty, or 23 percent of the total, according to the Chosun Ilbo newspaper.
Slack demand raises questions about whether South Korea will gain as much benefit from the global tournaments as economists and other planners expected. An estimated influx of 400,000 overseas visitors was expected to inject US$604 million into the local economy, the state-run South Korea Development Institute estimated earlier this year.
"Because the games are being played in 20 different locations, it's the locals who have to pick up the slack," said Hong Namki, South Korea strategist at Morgan Stanley Dean Witter & Co.
"More South Koreans need to get out to attend the games and spend money."
At best, the games will help boost South Korea's economy by 0.1 percentage point in the second quarter from the first quarter, according to Lim Jiwon, an economist at J.P. Morgan Chase & Co in Seoul. South Korea's economy grew 1.8 percent in the first quarter from the previous, the fastest pace in 1.5 years.
"I don't expect the World Cup effect to be as rosy as South Korea had hoped," Lim said.
"The effect will also be less because the games are being co-hosted by two countries."
Many hotels complain of empty rooms.
"Because the World Cup is held both in South Korea and Japan, Japanese tourists, who account for as many as 70 percent of tourists in Busan, aren't coming to South Korea," said Kim Suk-kyung, an official at the Hotel Lotte Busan, part of South Korea's largest chain of luxury hotels.
South Koreans are also refraining from traveling to other cities.
"Compared with a year ago, reservations fell about 30 percent because people are staying home watching TV," said Lim Joung-sim, an official at the Jeju Palace Hotel.
Again, hotel operators say Byrom, the UK contractor, is at least partly to blame.
Byrom, which has a contract with 213 South Korean hotels, canceled more than two thirds of 796,158 rooms covered in its first pact last month, saying it overestimated the number of visitors. That left hotels with empty rooms and little time to fill them.
South Korea's organizing committee for the World Cup plans to protest to FIFA, soccer's governing body, and seek compensation from Byrom for losses caused by unsold seats and ticket distribution problems, Yonhap News reported.
Travel agencies also say they're unhappy.
"Our outbound travel sales could have been higher by about 20 percent if it weren't for World Cup games," said Won Kwang-cheol, a manager at Hana Tour Service Inc, South Korea's largest travel agency. "Inbound traveling is also not as high as everyone expected."
The South Korea Association of Travel Agents said it estimates only about 40,000 visitors from China. That's half its earlier estimate because of expensive accommodation and flight tickets.
South Koreans regained some confidence after the national team unexpectedly beat Scotland 4-1 and drew with England in recent friendly matches.
South Koreans are hoping their national team will make it as far as the second round of the finals for the first time.
History hasn't been kind to the South Korean team.
Though South Korea qualified for more FIFA World Cup finals than any other Asian country, it played in five previous tournaments without winning a single game.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats