Microchip Technology Inc is pausing its application for US semiconductor subsidies, making it the first known company to step back from a program designed to revitalize American chipmaking.
The struggling chipmaker was in line for US$162 million in grants from the CHIPS and Science Act to support plants in Oregon and Colorado. Since then, it has furloughed workers twice at facilities in Oregon and announced plans to shut down a factory in Arizona, affecting around 500 employees.
“I have put the negotiations with the CHIPS office on hold for now,” Microchip chief executive officer Steve Sanghi said on Tuesday at a UBS conference, confirming earlier reporting by Bloomberg. “Probably, by the time I get my arms around it, we’re into the new administration.”
Photo: Bloomberg
Microchip’s decision is a blow to US President Joe Biden’s officials racing to finalize awards from the landmark bipartisan law before president-elect Donald Trump’s return to the White House. The US Department of Commerce, which is in charge of CHIPS Act implementation, has announced preliminary deals with more than 20 companies, and inked final agreements with six — including major players like Intel Corp and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (台積電).
Those binding accords account for almost 50 percent of direct funding from the program, which set aside US$39 billion in grants — plus loans and tax breaks — to boost the US semiconductor industry after decades of production shifting to Asia. US Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo has said she wants to finalize as much of that money as possible before leaving office.
“We are in communication with Microchip on their CHIPS process and continue to have productive conversations with them about their long-term plans,” a commerce department spokesperson said in a statement. It is not clear whether the commerce department will reallocate the money set aside for Microchip.
Microchip, which makes older-generation chips for products like cars and consumer devices, has been mired in a deep sales slump and expects revenue to drop 40 percent this year. Its shares are down 27 percent this year, making it one of the worst performers on the Philadelphia Stock Exchange Semiconductor Index.
The company’s decision to pause the CHIPS Act process and shutter its Arizona plant highlights the cyclical nature of the semiconductor industry. The sector’s booms and busts present a challenge for policymakers, who are negotiating investments and subsidies that stretch years into the future.
“The grant was applied to maybe almost a year ago, when everybody thought that the factory capacity was never enough, and the world was gonna build silicon fabs forever,” Sanghi said on Tuesday. “Today, we have too much capacity.”
Meanwhile, CHIPS Act funding also only covers a small slice of factory costs. In order for companies to move forward with projects, the sites have to make commercial sense — something Biden officials have long recognized.
The “government gives you 15 cents of every dollar you spend,” Sanghi said on Tuesday. “Do I want to spend US$100 million to get US$15 million back from the government — if I don’t need it and I don’t want to spend the other 85 myself?”
NEW MARKET: The partnership opens up India to the Dutch company, which already has a strong hold in the semiconductor market of South Korea, Taiwan and China ASML Holding NV entered into a partnership agreement with Tata Electronics Pvt Ltd aimed at ramping up India’s goal to develop domestic chip-manufacturing capabilities. The Dutch company’s technology would help power Tata Electronics’ planned 300 millimeter (mm) semiconductor foundry in Gujarat, according to a joint statement from the two companies on Saturday. The signing of a memorandum of understanding coincides with a visit by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the Netherlands, which is looking to deepen bilateral relations with New Delhi. ASML, whose top customers include Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (台積電) and Samsung Electronics Co, makes lithography machines that can print
ROUGH RECORDS: Bonds in Japan, as well is in New Zealand, Australia and the US, are seeing the effects of a nervy market as stock exchanges across Asia edge down A deepening slump in Japanese government bonds added fuel to the selloff in global debt markets as rising oil prices stoked inflation fears and pushed yields to multi-decade highs. Japan’s 30-year yield yesterday surged as much as 20 basis points to the highest level since the tenor’s debut in 1999, before paring some of the move. Shorter-maturity Japanese debt was also under pressure, underscored by weak demand at a sale of five-year notes that offered a record-high coupon of 2 percent. Concerns over inflation and government spending rippling through markets including the US, Australia and New Zealand are being amplified in Japan,
The US has cleared about 10 Chinese firms to buy Nvidia Corp’s second-most powerful artificial intelligence (AI) chip, the H200, but not a single delivery has been made so far, three people familiar with the matter said, leaving a major technology deal in limbo as chief executive officer Jensen Huang (黃仁勳) seeks a breakthrough in China this week. Huang, who was not initially listed in a White House delegation to Beijing, joined the trip after an invitation from US President Donald Trump, a source said. Trump picked him up in Alaska en route to a summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping
Wall Street is licking its chops over an unprecedented slate of massive initial public offerings (IPOs) set to arrive in the coming months, beginning with Elon Musk’s Space Exploration Technologies Corp (SpaceX) next month. That is expected to be followed by artificial intelligence (AI) rivals OpenAI and Anthropic PBC. The trio of mega listings, each eyeing valuations around US$1 trillion or more, constitutes a heady period of elevated risk and reward. SpaceX is targeting an IPO that would raise up to US$80 billion — about double the funds generated from all IPOs last year. OpenAI and Anthropic are eyeing IPOs raising US$60 billion. “We’re