Bank of Japan (BOJ) Governor Kazuo Ueda kept rate hikes in play this year by turning a potentially messy parliamentary hearing into a relatively straightforward reiteration of policy in his first public remarks following a global stock market rout.
“If we are able to confirm a rising certainty that the economy and prices would stay in line with forecasts, there is no change to our stance that we would continue to adjust the degree of easing,” Ueda said in response to questions from lawmakers yesterday.
When asked about the market ructions that occurred earlier this month, Ueda played down the significance of the BOJ’s rate hike last month, citing concerns over the state of the US economy as the key catalyst, adding that the “overdone” worries have since eased.
Photo: Bloomberg
At the same time, he signaled that he does not plan to rush ahead with the next rate hike, saying the BOJ needs to carefully watch the impact of unstable financial markets on the inflation outlook.
The governor’s remarks suggest that the sharp market tumbles early this month would not deter authorities from considering more interest rate increases as the central bank unwinds years of ultra-easy policy, even if the next move is not imminent.
Ueda is sticking to his view that the central bank would hike rates if the economy meets expectations, rather than needing economic data to exceed forecasts to trigger policy moves, said David Forrester, a senior strategist at Credit Agricole CIB in Singapore.
“The fact that Ueda is sticking to this rhetoric despite recent financial market turbulence is positive for the yen,” Forrester said. “He showed no regret about the rate hikes to date and signaled the central bank will raise rates further if data continue to track its projections. The takeaway — recent volatility in stocks and the yen hasn’t derailed the plans to normalize policy.”
While the BOJ is widely expected to stand pat on policy when the board meets next month partly to avoid any market ripples when Japan’s ruling party chooses a new leader, many surveyed economists expect the bank to increase borrowing costs again by December.
Ueda’s comments on watching markets for now echoed remarks delivered by his deputy, Shinichi Uchida, earlier this month when the central bank was looking to reassure jittery investors. Still, the governor stopped short of repeating Uchida’s pledge not to raise rates when markets are unstable.
Instead he pledged to carefully communicate the bank’s thinking to ensure market participants are not taken by surprise.
“We will watch financial markets with an extremely high sense of urgency for the time being,” he said.
“For those market participants looking for some comments as dovish as Uchida’s, his remarks were a little negative, but the impact was limited,” Pictet Asset Management Japan Ltd strategist Jumpei Tanaka said.
The BOJ has been criticized by those who said the July 31 hike and Ueda’s post-decision pledge to continue raising rates if conditions allow were key factors that triggered a massive sell-off on global financial markets days later.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his