US firms have warned that proposed cyberregulations could grant the Hong Kong government unusual access to their computer systems, highlighting the latest challenge to Western technology giants in the territory.
The Asia Internet Coalition, which includes Amazon.com Inc, Alphabet Inc’s Google and Meta Platforms Inc, is among the bodies that have criticized new rules that officials say are designed to protect critical infrastructure from cyberattacks.
The Hong Kong government said it aims to identify and designate specific organizations as critical infrastructure operators and ensure they take measures to safeguard their systems.
Photo: Reuters
Critics argue the proposals give authorities overly broad powers that could threaten the integrity of service providers and rock confidence in the territory’s digital economy.
The local American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) and Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce have also submitted letters over the proposed legislative framework to a public consultation.
Two of the three groups flagged the rules — which some were concerned could apply to computer systems outside Hong Kong — as “unprecedented.”
One of their key objections was to proposed investigative powers that would let authorities connect their equipment to critical computer systems owned by private firms, and install programs on them.
“Such unprecedented power directly intervenes in, and could have a significant impact on a CIO’s operation and could harm the users of the services,” AmCham wrote in an Aug. 1 letter, referring to critical infrastructure operators.
Such a move “is likely to have a chilling effect” on technology investment in Hong Kong, it added.
The government in a statement late on Tuesday said that its proposal “in no way involves the personal data and business information.”
Hong Kong would only seek a court warrant to connect to computer systems or install programs in certain circumstances if operators would not or could not respond to potential cyberincidents. The envisioned legislation would not have “extraterritorial effect” beyond its jurisdiction, the statement said.
Hong Kong officials have previously said that the cybersecurity bill is needed to protect the territory’s economy, public safety and national security. They propose establishing a new commissioner’s office to oversee the legislation’s implementation.
Many nations have laws to safeguard strategic infrastructure and access networks — for instance, US law enforcement and counterintelligence agencies can conduct wiretaps with court authorization — but it is rare for government agencies to try and gain access to private networks or information by directly installing software.
Under the proposed new cyberregulations, companies would need to secure their computer systems and disclose to the government serious breaches within two hours. Fines for offenses could range as high as HK$5 million (US$641,540) and would be determined by a court, the proposal says.
The legislation is likely to be submitted to the Hong Kong Legislative Council by the end of this year and enacted, legal observers say.
While Hong Kong has a legitimate need for new cybersecurity rules, companies would be worried about protecting user data, said George Chen (陳澍), cochair of digital practice at The Asia Group, a Washington-based business and policy consulting firm.
“International platforms, especially cloud service providers, are also naturally concerned about the enforcement,” Chen said.
The question will be “where to draw the line between protecting user data privacy and overall cybersecurity concerns,” he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his