Kering SA, the owner of Gucci, has agreed to buy Creed in an all-cash deal as the luxury conglomerate expands in the market for high-end fragrances.
Kering’s beauty unit is buying 100 percent of Creed from funds controlled by BlackRock Inc and its chairman Javier Ferran, the Paris-based luxury group said in a statement on Monday.
Further terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
Photo: Reuters
Creed was established in 1760 by James Henry Creed as a tailoring house that served the royal families of Europe. It still has family involvement.
The French group said it planned to “unlock” Creed’s potential, particularly in China and in travel retail, and expand the feminine fragrance portfolio.
The company is known for its men’s fragrance Aventus. Creed generated annual revenue of more than 250 million euros (US$273.5 million) in the year to March 31.
The acquisition comes after Kering named Raffaella Cornaggia as chief executive of its beauty unit in February as the company aims to grow a segment where rivals such as Hermes International and LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE have performed well.
Kering has been adding cash to its war chest for potential acquisitions, raising significant proceeds from the sale of its Puma SE stake.
Last year, Kering held talks to buy Tom Ford, the designer brand known for its perfume offering, people familiar with the matter said.
Estee Lauder eventually bought Tom Ford.
Kering is trying to revive its biggest brand Gucci. In April, it said that Gucci sales barely grew in the first quarter, as the Italian label failed to win over more shoppers to products such as Double G belts and furry Princetown slippers.
Kering’s performance seemed particularly lackluster when compared with rivals LVMH and Hermes, which posted double-digit sales growth in the first quarter.
At the time, Kering chief executive Francois-Henri Pinault said that while the performance of the company was mixed, it was starting to see a “gradual improvement in activity month after month.”
Shares of contract chipmaker Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) came under pressure yesterday after a report that Apple Inc is looking to shift some orders from the Taiwanese company to Intel Corp. TSMC shares fell NT$55, or 2.4 percent, to close at NT$2,235 on the local main board, Taiwan Stock Exchange data showed. Despite the losses, TSMC is expected to continue to benefit from sound fundamentals, as it maintains a lead over its peers in high-end process development, analysts said. “The selling was a knee-jerk reaction to an Intel-Apple report over the weekend,” Mega International Investment Services Corp (兆豐國際投顧) analyst Alex Huang
TRANSITION: With the closure, the company would reorganize its Taiwanese unit to a sales and service-focused model, Bridgestone said Bridgestone Corp yesterday announced it would cease manufacturing operations at its tire plant in Hsinchu County’s Hukou Township (湖口), affecting more than 500 workers. Bridgestone Taiwan Co (台灣普利司通) said in a statement that the decision was based on the Tokyo-based tire maker’s adjustments to its global operational strategy and long-term market development considerations. The Taiwanese unit would be reorganized as part of the closure, effective yesterday, and all related production activities would be concluded, the statement said. Under the plan, Bridgestone would continue to deepen its presence in the Taiwanese market, while transitioning to a sales and service-focused business model, it added. The Hsinchu
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) has approved a capital budget of US$31.28 billion for production expansion to meet long-term development needs during the artificial intelligence (AI) boom. The company’s board meeting yesterday approved the capital appropriation plan for purposes such as the installation of advanced technology capacity and fab construction, the world’s largest contract chipmaker said in a statement. At an earnings conference last month, TSMC forecast that its capital expenditure for this year would be at the higher end of the US$52 billion to US$56 billion range it forecast in January in response to robust demand for 5G, AI and
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co’s (TSMC, 台積電) investment project in Arizona has progressed better than expected, but it still faces challenges such as water and labor shortages, National Development Council (NDC) Minister Yeh Chun-hsien (葉俊顯) said yesterday. Speaking with reporters after visiting TSMC’s Arizona hub and attending the SelectUSA Investment Summit in Maryland last week, Yeh said TSMC’s Arizona site turned a profit of NT$16.14 billion (US$514 million) last year in its first full year of mass production. “TSMC told me it was surprised by the smooth trial run of the first fab, which has left the company optimistic about the project’s outlook,”