The US trade ban on Chinese telecom equipment maker ZTE (中興通訊) wreaked havoc at wireless carriers in Europe and South Asia and forced operators worldwide to consider broadening their supply networks, industry sources said.
Disruptions at Russian and emerging markets mobile operator Veon, one of the world’s 10 largest mobile firms by number of customers, illustrate the effects of the US ban, which lasted three months, ending when the US Department of Commerce lifted the order on Friday.
Veon was especially hard hit, suffering launch delays at its Italian joint venture and in Ukraine, near network outages in Bangladesh, and lesser disruptions at its Pakistan operations, sources at the Amsterdam-based operator said.
Photo: Bloomberg
“Veon has decided to second source everything,” a person familiar with the strategy shift at Veon said of moves to reduce dependence on any one supplier of network gear.
“We don’t want the company to be in the same position we were in when the US [ban on ZTE] came out: It caused massive problems in three or four of our markets,” the source said.
Perhaps the biggest setback was for Italian mobile operator Wind Tre, which had a 1 billion euro (US$1.17 billion) contract with ZTE to upgrade radio equipment.
The ban forced ZTE to abandon more than half of the remainder of the contract, and Wind Tre will use gear from network supplier Ericsson instead, sources said.
The original deal had marked ZTE’s biggest breakthrough into the European market, which has been dominated by regional players such as Ericsson of Sweden and Nokia of Finland.
Ericsson’s win with Wind Tre could be a sign of renewed momentum for the Swedish equipment supplier, which has struggled in recent years with slowing growth, restructuring and big job cuts.
One industry expert said that operators may start using multiple vendors to avoid being stuck with a supplier that comes under trade sanctions or suffers other extended disruptions.
“Many supplier strategies will be reviewed,” said Bengt Nordstrom, a telecoms industry consultant based in Sweden who advises operators on equipment purchasing strategies. “Wind Tre was the first example so far. This is a wake-up call to the industry that if you have a single vendor dominating your network supply chain — ZTE for now, but other vendors eventually — you are leaving yourself exposed.”
Veon’s Ukrainian unit, Kyivstar, the largest mobile operator in that country, postponed its introduction of 4G mobile services in April because of the ZTE ban, two sources at Veon and one at ZTE said.
“The 4G launch had to actually be put on hold, so Kyivstar lost ground to competitors because of our obligations to comply with the denial order,” said one of the sources, a senior executive at Veon.
Kyivstar’s two main rivals are Vodafone Ukraine, owned by Russia’s MTS/Sistema and UK-based global operator Vodafone ; and Lifecell, a unit of Turkcell of Turkey.
Kyivstar launched its 4G service early this month, more than two months behind schedule, by using a part of the network that did not depend on ZTE, one source said.
Network blackouts were narrowly averted at Veon’s Bangalink unit in Bangladesh.
“There was an issue with Bangladeshi network upgrades that really went down to the wire,” the source said. “Only at the 11th hour did the US allow some temporary relief from the order.”
Global telecoms trade group GSMA negotiated a one-month reprieve with the Department of Commerce that allowed Bangalink and other ZTE customers to engage in “essential transactions” that allowed existing networks and handsets to keep working, the group said.
Veon has maintained strict compliance with the ZTE ban in all markets, two company sources said.
All ZTE equipment shipped to Veon’s subsidiaries after the US order was returned.
This included both network hardware and ZTE mobile handsets, a Veon executive at its Russian operating subsidiary said.
Spanish telecom operator Telefonica relied on technical workarounds during the ban, but still canceled some ZTE contracts, a separate source with knowledge of the relationship between the firms said.
Lawyers at the two companies held weekly meetings to ensure careful compliance, the source said.
ZTE was unable to ship any gear to the Spanish telecoms giant that relied on components from US-based chipmakers Qualcomm or Intel or smartphones running the Google Android operating system, for example. Disruptions were minimized because ZTE contracts accounted for less than 5 percent of the telecom giant’s equipment spending, the source said.
The scale of workarounds and outages at other major ZTE customers, including China Mobile (中國移動通信) and MTN, Africa’s top operator, is not yet known.
The Department of Commerce in April banned US companies from selling goods to ZTE after the Chinese company failed to comply with a 2016 settlement involving evasion of sanctions against Iran.
The US lifted its ban on Friday, weeks after US President Donald Trump said the punishment was too harsh.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his