Hedge funds are pulling out of gold bets, as more exciting moves in equities and cryptocurrencies make safe-haven investments look boring.
Money managers cut their bets on a bullion rally at the fastest pace in five months as prices head for their worst quarterly loss in a year.
Speculators are throwing in the towel as the precious metal failed to sustain the gains that took futures to a one-year high in September.
Photo: Bloomberg
While the metal posted some modest gains recently, its performance still pales in comparison to the record-breaking rally of US equity indices and the dizzying surge in bitcoin.
Synchronized global growth and prospects for higher US interest rates hurt the appeal of non-interest bearing gold, while geopolitical tensions failed to spur enough haven demand.
“Nobody cares about gold right now,” said Joe Foster, who manages the US$670 million VanEck International Investors Gold Fund from New York. “With the stock market marking new highs, everybody’s talking about bitcoin, nobody needs a safe-haven asset in this environment, but I think it would be foolish not to have an allocation to gold, because it has a very low correlation to stocks and it’s a hedge against systemic financial risk.”
In the week that ended on Tuesday, money managers reduced their net long positions, or the difference between bets on a price increase and wagers on a decline, by 43 percent to 80,453 futures and options, according to US Commodity Futures Trading Commission data released three days later.
That is the lowest since July 25.
Open interest, the tally of outstanding futures contracts on the Comex, fell on Thursday. The drop came even after the US Federal Reserve stuck to its projection for three interest-rate increases next year, easing concerns that policymakers would be more aggressive.
Investors are retreating as the 60-day historical volatility of gold futures languishes near the lowest since 2001, limiting opportunities to make money from actively trading the metal.
Even bullion’s loyal customers are shying away.
In India, the second-largest market for the metal, imports were said to have slumped for a third month last month as demand slowed.
In China, the top buyer, the central bank has not added to its gold reserves since October last year, data compiled by Bloomberg show.
In the US, monthly coin sales last month slumped 23 percent from a month earlier and since April have been hovering near the lowest since 2015.
The precious metal has been under pressure from rising US interest rates and improving odds that US President Donald Trump’s plan to cut corporate taxes will finally get approval from the US Congress.
Spot gold on Friday rose 0.3 percent to US$1,256.74 an ounce, up 0.7 percent from last week’s US$1,247.58 an ounce.
“It’s hard to get excited about gold, or any other asset if every time you jump into it, expecting it to respond in a certain way and it doesn’t,” said Cameron Brandt, director of research at EPFR Global, which tracks the fund flows in mutual funds. “If an asset class is not responding to your logic, why risk your career on it.”
Other metals:
Copper on Friday gained 2 percent to US$3.11 a pound.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his