Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker on Monday signed a US$3 billion incentive package for Foxconn Technology Group (富士康), known in Taiwan as Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密), to build a flat-screen plant in southeastern Wisconsin, a deal he says would provide thousands of jobs for generations.
The US Republican governor signed the bill during a ceremony at Gateway Technical College in Racine County, where the plant will likely be built.
“This is about far into the future,” Walker said. “This is about ensuring our children and our children’s children will have those kind of, really, generational-type opportunities. This is one of those things that’s transformational.”
Walker told reporters after the signing that next steps call for the Wisconsin Economic Development Corp to finalize a contract with Foxconn to execute the provisions in the bill.
The economic corp board is scheduled to meet on Thursday next week to approve the agreement. Foxconn executives will then likely reveal the precise location for the plant before the contract is signed early next month.
Walker told WTMJ-AM radio on Monday morning that he expects groundbreaking this spring.
Foxconn hopes to open the plant in 2020.
No one from Foxconn attended the event.
Walker said the company’s leaders planned to visit the state for the contract signing.
The bill provides about US$3 billion in cash to Foxconn if it invests US$10 billion in a new flat-screen factory in southeastern Wisconsin and employs 13,000 people. The measure provides US$150 million in sales tax exemptions on construction equipment and allows the company to build in wetlands and waterways.
The package gives the conservative-leaning state Supreme Court the option to take appeals of circuit court decisions related to the Foxconn project directly rather than having them heard by an intermediate appellate court. Any lower court decision would be automatically stayed during the appeal.
The bill also calls for borrowing US$252 million to rebuild Interstate 94 near the plant site, but makes spending the money contingent on a federal match and approval from the legislature’s budget committee.
Walker used his veto power to eliminate the budget committee from the process, saying creating ambiguity about the availability of the state dollars could push the federal government to send potential matching dollars to other states.
Walker and supporters are heralding the deal as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make the state a hub for the high-tech electronics industry.
Foxconn is the world’s largest contract manufacturer of electronics and is best-known for making iPhones.
Opponents have decried the deal as a giveaway to Foxconn, saying it has not provided enough guarantees to protect taxpayers in case workers are laid off or Foxconn leaves the state.
An analysis by the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau found it would take at least 25 years for Wisconsin taxpayers to break even on the incentives.
Walker told reporters after the signing he believes Foxconn will uphold its pledge to create thousands of jobs.
“I’m more than confident this will happen,” Walker said moments before he signed the bill.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his