Huawei Technologies Co (華為) will back Apple Inc as it contests a US court order requiring the unlocking of a San Bernardino shooting suspect’s iPhone, taking the side of the industry’s largest names in a clash over the balance between law enforcement and consumer privacy.
China’s largest smartphone maker joined Google Inc and other technology companies in supporting Apple chief executive officer Tim Cook, who last week vowed to fight a court order compelling the company to help the FBI break into the telephone used by one of the shooters in the California attack.
Consumer privacy is key for smartphone makers, Richard Yu, the chief executive officer of Huawei’s fast-growing consumer devices division, said on Sunday.
Huawei is one of the first major Asian technology companies to speak out on a debate that has galvanized an industry long resistant to government efforts to gain access to data in criminal cases.
Cook said that complying with the order would set a dangerous precedent, compromise a key security feature and possibly allow governments, criminals or other parties to access sensitive data in future.
The US government argues it is a one-time request that would aid an important investigation.
“It’s the top one, the most important thing to the consumer. We should really protect the consumer’s privacy and security,” said Yu, who was at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona to unveil Huawei’s first laptop. “Personally, I support Apple’s, Tim Cook’s idea.”
Huawei showed off the laptop — which is powered by Microsoft Corp’s Windows 10 and comes with a detachable screen — to help fuel its rapid ascent in consumer devices. Now the world’s No. 3 smartphone maker, behind Samsung Electronics Co and Apple according to IDC, Huawei has aspirations of becoming the No. 1 brand in five years.
The Chinese company, which debuted its first device using Google’s Android in 2009 to complement its business of making networking equipment, shipped more than 100 million smartphones last year for the first time, after it focused on improving quality and moved into the less crowded premium segment.
Huawei received 70 percent of its consumer sales from abroad last year, Yu said.
“Five years ago, we were top 10, now we are top three. Within two to three years, we can be top two, within five years, we can be No. 1,” Yu said.
In China, “the whole market is saturated and there is a little bit of a slowdown, but our market share, Huawei’s market share, we are increasing,” Yu added.
As for the US, Yu said consumers there are opening up to a Chinese brand that has had its networking equipment criticized by US politicians, some of whom cited alleged ties to the Chinese government.
Huawei has denied those links.
“They will become more open. Our products sell worldwide, in over 170 countries, for many years,” Yu said. “For consumer electronic products, even better — because we’re learning the Android OS from Google, a US company.”
SELF-SUFFICIENCY: Alibaba is one of a number of Chinese firms that has answered Beijing’s call to invest in the development of cutting-edge technologies Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (阿里巴巴) yesterday unveiled a new server chip that is based on advanced 5-nanometer technology, marking a milestone in China’s pursuit of semiconductor self-sufficiency. The Chinese tech giant’s newest chip is based on micro-architecture provided by the SoftBank Group Corp-owned Arm Ltd, it said. Alibaba, which is holding its annual cloud summit in Hangzhou, China, said that the chip is to be used in its own data centers in the “near future” and would not, for the time being, be sold commercially. “Customizing our own server chips is consistent with our ongoing efforts toward boosting our computing capabilities with better
Production at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp’s (TSMC, 台積電) fabs was not affected by a fire at a construction site for a water recycling facility in the Southern Taiwan Science Park in Tainan. The world’s biggest contract chipmaker said that the construction site is not adjacent to its fabs, which were unaffected. CTCI Corp (中鼎工程) is responsible for the construction of the facility, which it is to operate itself once it is completed, the chipmaker said. The facility caught fire at about 11am, and the blaze was brought under control about 30 minutes after the incident was reported, the Southern Taiwan Science Park Administration
AGGRESSIVE STEP: With the new processors, Apple is aiming at the high-end chips Intel has provided for the MacBook Pro and other top-end Macs for about 15 years Apple Inc on Monday took the most aggressive step yet to strip Intel Corp chips from its computers, announcing more powerful homegrown Mac processors alongside a total revamp of its MacBook Pro laptop computers. The company showcased the chips at an event called “Unleashed,” which also included its latest audio products. The new components, called the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips, are 70 percent faster than its M1 predecessors, Apple said. It also unveiled a redesigned MacBook Pro, adding larger screens, MagSafe charging and better resolution. With the new processors and devices, Apple is aiming squarely at the high-end chips that Intel has
‘NO NEGOTIATING’: Acer spokesperson Steven Chung said customers in India whose data were affected were informed, while no user data in Taiwan was compromised PC vendor Acer Inc (宏碁) yesterday confirmed that it was hacked twice in one week — once in Taiwan and once in India — but denied any damage or leak of customer data. Acer spokesperson Steven Chung (鐘興維) said that the customers in India whose data were affected were informed, while no user data in Taiwan was compromised. The hackers have tried to initiate communication, but Acer has not responded, Chung said. “We are not going to negotiate and it is not company policy to pay ransom to hackers,” he said. Upon detecting the hack, Acer initiated all security protocols and conducted