As officials from the South Korean Ministry of Finance and central bank held a strategy meeting to consider the implications of North Korea’s latest nuclear test, early indications suggest that Asia’s fourth-largest economy is likely to shrug it off.
While the won slid to a three-month low and stocks dropped as much as 1 percent yesterday in Seoul trading, the immediate reaction from the Bank of Korea (BOK) was calm and assured.
South Korean foreign-exchange official Park Jun-seo said the BOK stood ready to perform smoothing operations if trading became volatile, and that risks from China’s slowdown and emerging markets remain the real issues, rather than events in North Korea.
The South Korean economy, which is more than 40 times larger than that of its northern neighbor, has lived in the shadow of a nuclear threat for more than a decade and continued to thrive.
In fact, domestic events have begun to have a greater sway over sentiment in Seoul than provocations from North Korean leader Kim Jong-un’s regime.
A ferry accident off South Korea’s southern coast and an outbreak of a deadly respiratory disease dealt bigger blows to economic activity in the past two years than missile tests and threats from Kim.
“It’s very unlikely to become a major risk to the economy,” Seoul-based Hyundai Research Institute economist Hong Jun-pyo said. “It could affect people’s sentiment, but not enough to hurt the financial market or the economy.”
Market reaction to previous nuclear tests has shown such events typically affect the currency for a few days and the same is expected this time, Park said.
However, a nuclear test adds weight to a host of other factors dragging down consumer sentiment in an economy that is seeing a slowdown in its strength in exports.
In addition, an interest-rate increase from the US Federal Reserve adds to the risk of investors pulling funds out of emerging markets such as South Korea.
More modest growth in China — South Korea’s biggest trading partner — also adds to economic concerns as exports slumped for 12 straight months last year.
In Seoul, the won fell 0.8 percent to close at 1,197.20 per US dollar yesterday after touching a three-month low, extending this week’s losses amid volatility in Chinese stocks and a drop in exports.
The KOSPI fell 0.26 percent to 1,925.43.
The South Korean government would prepare steps to stabilize financial markets if necessary, South Korean Financial Services Commission vice chairman Jeong Chan-woo said at a meeting of top government economic officials yesterday, adding that the government would strengthen communication with the markets.
Meanwhile, the BOK said in a statement yesterday after a meeting to discuss North Korea’s impact that the central bank expects the event to have a “limited negative impact” on South Korean financial markets.
South Korean President Park Geun-hye said the nation must “sternly respond” with strong international sanctions against the North, as the test could shake the security landscape of the region.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his