Shire PLC plans to resubmit its application for US approval of a potential blockbuster drug for dry-eye disease next year after regulators unexpectedly asked for additional testing and information.
“We were disappointed” by the feedback on the medicine, called lifitegrast, CEO Flemming Ornskov said in a statement, adding that the Dublin-based drugmaker would soon get data from an advanced study called Opus-3 that might help with a resubmission to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Lifitegrast is one of the medicines in development that Shire is counting on to meet a goal of boosting sales to US$10 billion by 2020 from about US$6 billion last year.
Annual revenue from the drug could reach US$723 million by that date, according to the average of analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg.
The company said late on Friday that the FDA had requested another clinical study and data on product quality, a setback after the drug had won priority review status, shortening the review process to eight months from the standard 12 months.
“Opus-3 has now been completed and top-line data are expected before the end of the year,” Ornskov said in the statement yesterday. “If the study is positive, we plan to refile our lifitegrast submission in the first quarter of 2016, and will remain on track for the planned launch next year.”
Opus-3 is “very likely” to show that it improves symptoms in patients, said David Evans, an analyst at UBS Group AG in London.
This would add evidence to two previous studies, neither of which hit both primary goals, he said.
In a research note earlier this month, Evans correctly predicted the FDA would want more data for the drug, which may at its peak hit US$2 billion in annual sales. He also said he expects it to eventually reach the market.
“We see a high probability of refiling and ultimate approval,” Evans said in the note.
Shire said that in the US there are 29 million adults who have the symptoms of dry-eye disease. The condition makes it more difficult to perform certain activities, including using a computer or reading for an extended period of time. Lifitegrast, if approved, would compete with Allergan PLC’s Restasis, which is estimated to bring in more than US$1 billion in sales this year.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he