AU Optronics Corp (AUO, 友達光電) yesterday said the recent industry slowdown, primarily caused by the faltering Chinese economy, is much milder than the last slump during 2008-2009 global financial crisis and the company is well-prepared to ride out the downturn.
The last industry downcycle, which saw weak demand and a price crunch, brought the nation’s major LCD panelmakers to the verge of bankruptcy, as they were unable to generate sufficient cash to repay piling debts.
“Recent global economic weakness hurts demand for consumer electronics and flat panels, meaning that we will not experience strong seasonal demand as usual in the second half,” AUO chairman and chief executive officer Paul Peng (彭双浪) told reporters on the sidelines of the annual Touch Taiwan display show in Taipei.
“What is different this time is that shipments did not plunge as deep [as people thought]. Decline in exports [mostly] reflects a price drop,” Peng said.
“The Chinese stock market rout is a short-term phenomenon. Unless the market correction lasts for a longer period of time, it will not divert consumer spending,” he said.
Currently, TV panel inventory in the supply channel is one to two weeks higher than the normal level, AUO said.
Those stockpiles could return to normal by the year end and new orders might come in after that, the nation’s No. 2 LCD panelmaker said.
Peng said the company has improved its financial structure over the past three years, thanks to strong profitability, lower debt ratio and reduced depreciation costs.
The company’s debt ratio fell to 19.9 percent at the end of last quarter, from 51.3 percent a year earlier, according to the company’s financial statement.
Some industry watchers have said that more consolidation efforts are needed in Taiwan’s flat-panel industry in order to cope with increasing global competition.
Peng said AUO is open to possibilities, but the company is not in any merger and acquisition talks at the moment.
“What synergy a merger and acquisition deal would bring is our main consideration,” Peng said.
Compared with AUO’s cautious outlook, Innolux Corp (群創) is more optimistic.
“Orders for TV panels are quite brisk. We are seeing good order momentum through end of the year,” Innolux deputy director Eddie Kuo (郭正夏) said.
“We still see seasonal demand during China’s national holidays beginning in early October,” he said.
The company is facing smaller impact from the downturn than its peers, as it does not produce 32-inch TV panels, Kuo said.
A glut in the supply of 32-inch TV panels has caused prices to decline significantly, especially after Chinese panelamkers such as BOE Technology Group Co (京東方) recently began operating their new 8.5-generation plants, Kuo said.
Overall, Innolux’s factories are fully utilized this quarter, he said.
At the display fair, Innolux showcase its latest 65-inch 8k super-ultra-resolution TV panel.
The company said it is in talks with Japanese TV brands and China’s top 10 TV vendors to supply the 65-inch 8k TV panels.
Innolux is scheduled to ship its first batch of 65-inch 8k TV panels in the third quarter of next year and plans to produce bigger screens of 8K TV panels ahead of the summer Olympics in Tokyo in 2020.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his