Two of the best-known US food brands might soon unite in a deal that could reshape the industry — thanks in part to the efforts of a Brazilian investment firm with a penchant for deals.
The investment firm 3G Capital — through the ketchup maker HJ Heinz Co, which it owns with billionaire Warren Buffett — is in talks to buy Kraft Foods Group Inc, a person briefed on the matter said on Tuesday.
As of Tuesday’s market close, Kraft had a market value of about US$36.5 billion, meaning that a final price could exceed US$40 billion.
From its base in Brazil, 3G has become a powerhouse in the world of food brands. The firm, which counts billionaire financier Jorge Paulo Lemann among its owners, has made daring moves for companies like Burger King Worldwide Inc, which it bought in 2010.
Two years ago, 3G and Buffett — a public admirer of Lemann and his firm — teamed to buy Heinz for US$23 billion.
Many in the deal community and in Brazil have speculated about when the acquisitive firm would seek out another big-name consumer brand. Previous rumors had centered on companies like Campbell Soup Co.
Last summer, 3G, through Burger King, bought the Canadian coffee-and-doughnut chain Tim Hortons Inc for about US$11.4 billion, with the aim of creating a global fast-food empire whose offerings stretch from breakfast to dinner.
In the world of mergers and acquisitions, 3G has won acclaim for its prowess both in striking deals and in improving companies once it has bought them. The firm has a reputation for solid management and relentless cost-cutting.
At Burger King, for example, the firm sold off the restaurant chain’s corporate jet and did away with an annual US$1 million party in Italy.
Four months after Berkshire Hathaway Inc and 3G Capital’s takeover of Heinz, 11 of the top 12 Heinz executives were replaced. This was followed by a series of layoffs. In Kraft, Heinz and 3G would get their hands on a number of household names, including not only the namesake cheese, but also Oscar Mayer deli meats, Maxwell House coffee and Planters nuts.
The Kraft of today arose from the breakup of its parent in 2012, a split that created a primarily North American grocery business, which kept the Kraft name, and a global snacks business, Mondelez International.
Since the breakup, Kraft’s sales have been relatively flat at about US$18 billion. Its overall profit last year fell 62 percent, to US$1 billion, weighed down by the commodity costs of coffee, cheese and meat.
The company has tried to cut costs and raise prices. However, packaged food companies as a whole have grappled with disappointing sales, owing to a drop in spending by lower-income customers and a change in tastes among more affluent buyers.
Late last year, Kraft took Wall Street by surprise when it replaced chief executive Tony Vernon with chairman John Cahill.
News of a possible sale of Kraft was reported earlier by the Wall Street Journal.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort