Japan yesterday signaled cautious approval of the China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) and said for the first time that, if conditions were met, it could join the institution that the US has warned against.
Australian Treasurer Joe Hockey said there was “a lot of merit” in the bank and the Sydney Morning Herald reported that Canberra could formally decide to sign up when the full Cabinet meets on Monday.
Japan, Australia and South Korea, all major US allies, are the notable regional absentees from the AIIB. The US, worried about China’s growing diplomatic clout, has questioned whether the AIIB would have sufficient standards of governance and environmental and social safeguards.
However, after Britain broke ranks with Western nations and said earlier this month that it would join the AIIB, other major EU members have followed suit.
Australia now appears close to joining, although no formal decision has been made, and South Korea might be as well.
Japanese Minister of Finance Taro Aso said Tokyo could consider joining the China-led bank if it could guarantee a credible mechanism for providing loans.
“We have been asking to ensure debt sustainability taking into account its impact on environment and society,” he told reporters after a cabinet meeting. “We could [consider to participate] if these issues are guaranteed. There could be a chance that we would go inside and discuss. But so far we have not heard any responses.”
It was a surprising comment from Japan.
Although China and Japan, the world’s second and third-largest economies, have deep trade and business relations, their diplomatic ties are tense over a territorial dispute and they compete for influence across Asia.
The AIIB could emerge as a rival to the Asian Development Bank (ADB), the Manila-based regional financial institution that Japan dominates along with the US. By custom, the ADB is headed by a former senior official from the Bank of Japan or the nation’s ministry of finance.
Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda responded cautiously when asked about the AIIB.
“There are huge needs, demands for infrastructure investment in Asia,” he said yesterday at a news conference. “On the other hand, the World Bank and ADB have been helping developing countries in Asia to improve infrastructure for the last 50 years... They have accumulated know-how and experience... That may be the most I can say.”
Hockey said no final decision had been made on Australia’s involvement, but the matter had been under careful consideration.
“More than 30 countries have already signed up. This is going to operate in our region, in our neighborhood,” he told a radio station in Brisbane. “There is a lot of merit in it, but we want to make sure there are proper governance procedures. That there’s transparency, that no one country is able to control the entity.”
The Sydney Morning Herald said Canberra could invest as much as A$3 billion (US$2.3 billion) in the bank and that Australia’s National Security Committee has cleared the way for the investment.
South Korean government officials denied a newspaper report that Seoul had decided to join in exchange for a 5 percent stake in the AIIB and the position of deputy chief.
The ministry of finance said in a statement that South Korea would make a decision on whether to join the bank “through close consultation with major countries and after considering various factors such as economic advantages and disadvantages.”
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Secretary-General Angel Gurria yesterday welcomed major European nations’ participation in the bank, saying it would ensure the institution was run under existing global standards.
“The fact that some of the European countries are now associating with the project makes me even more convinced that it is going to be run in a very professional, transparent way,” Gurria said.
Details of the AIIB’s financing and participation remain to be worked out, but Gurria said: “The severity, the rigor, the analytical detail and the feasibility of both the projects and the policies are going to be very much comparable to those of the other development banks.”
Additional reporting by AFP
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort