A senior manager at Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海) has admitted to stealing thousands of smartphones, prosecutors said yesterday, in a racket that reportedly made more than US$700,000.
Hon Hai, known in China as Foxconn Technology Group (富士康科技集團), assembles products for international brands such as Apple Inc, Sony Corp and Nokia Oyj. It employs about 1 million workers at its factories across China.
The Taiwanese deputy sales manager worked at the company’s factory in Zhengzhou, Henan Province, which assembles products such as Apple’s iPhone 6. The manager, identified in local media reports by the surname Tsai (蔡), was questioned on Thursday before being released on NT$500,000 bail.
Photo: Chen Chih-chu, Taipei Times
Prosecutors said thousands of phones were stolen in the scam, which they believe involved a network of accomplices.
Local media reported that between 4,000 and 5,000 smartphones, including the iPhone 6, had gone missing and were sold in China for a total of about US$760,000. TV news channel TVBS said the manager shipped the stolen phones out of the Zhengzhou factory in a container.
“He admitted to stealing smartphones from a Foxconn factory in China last year during questioning yesterday,” prosecutors said.
“We suspect that there are accomplices in China and might request judicial assistance from Chinese authorities for further investigation,” a spokeswoman for the New Taipei City District Prosecutors’ Office said.
The company reported the case to the authorities following an internal audit, she added.
Hon Hai yesterday denied local media reports that thousands of iPhone 6 handsets had been stolen from one of its factories in China. The company also denied the stolen phones had been smuggled out of the factory in a container, and said that it has a tight audit and control mechanism in place.
In a statement, Hon Hai said there was an incident of theft at one of its China plants, but it occurred in 2013 and involved pre-production phone models that were manufactured for testing purposes. It said the model in question was not the iPhone 6, but it did not specify which phone was stolen.
Last year, five former Hon Hai employees were charged with breach of trust in Taiwan for allegedly soliciting NT$160 million (US$5.1 million) in kickbacks from suppliers in exchange for clearing quality checks and buying their equipment.
The company said at the time that it planned to seek compensation from the suppliers involved in the case and called for the accused to be “severely punished according to the law.”
Despite the news about stolen iPhones, shares in Hon Hai, the world’s biggest contract electronics maker, increased 2.09 percent to close at NT$93.0 yesterday in Taipei trading, outperforming the main bourse, which rose 0.13 percent from Thursday.
Additional reporting by CNA
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his