After holding interest rates at record lows for more than six years, the US Federal Reserve still is not ready to start raising them.
The Fed on Wednesday signaled that it needs the job market to improve further and inflation to rise above low levels before it begins nudging borrowing rates up. Even then, it suggested it will do so only very gradually.
The statement the Fed issued after its latest policy meeting seemed to catch investors by surprise in suggesting that a rate increase might be further off than many had assumed. Stock prices jumped and bond yields fell on Wednesday.
Most Asian equity markets outside Japan rallied yesterday after Fed comments cooled expectations of an early rate hike, while the euro and yen retreated against the US dollar after racking up big gains in New York.
In its statement and later in Fed Chair Janet Yellen’s news conference, the Fed expressed concerns despite the economy’s steady growth. Yellen pointed to lower energy prices and a surging US dollar, which is helping keep inflation excessively low and posing a threat to US corporate profits and possibly to the economy. A Fed rate increase would likely send the US dollar even higher.
At the same time, the Fed at least opened the door to a rate increase later this year by no longer saying it will be “patient” in starting to raise its benchmark rate. Yellen said that while the Fed had removed “patient” to describe its approach to raising rates, it still had not decided when to begin raising them.
“Just because we removed the word ‘patient’ from the statement, does not mean we are going to be impatient,” Yellen said.
The Fed has kept its key short-term rate near zero since late 2008 to try to bolster the economy after a devastating financial crisis and recession. In its statement, the Fed said that the economy, which it previously said was growing solidly, has “moderated somewhat.”
Employers have added more than 200,000 jobs each month for a year. Unemployment is at a seven-year low of 5.5 percent. Hiring is far outpacing the job gains in overseas economies.
However, Yellen suggested that the broad pay increases that are normally associated with steady job growth might not occur anytime soon. She said, though, that the Fed would not necessarily wait for wages to rise at a faster pace before it raises its key rate from its near-zero level.
“We may not see wage growth pick up,” she told reporters.
The Fed’s statement on Wednesday was approved on a 10-0 vote.
In its characterization of the economy, the statement said export growth has weakened, a trend that partly reflects a stronger US dollar. A rising US dollar makes US goods costlier overseas.
“I certainly expect net exports to serve as a notable drag this year,” Yellen said.
The statement said that before raising rates, Fed officials want to be “reasonably confident that inflation will move back to its 2 percent objective over the medium term.”
The Fed also downgraded its quarterly economic forecasts. It cut its estimate of growth this year to a range of 2.3 percent to 2.7 percent, from an estimate of 2.6 percent to 3 percent in its previous forecast in December last year. It was an acknowledgement that some key indicators have been weaker than expected in recent months.
The Fed also forecast that the unemployment rate can now fall further without spurring inflation, a sign that it might move slowly in raising rates.
US officials reduced their estimate of the unemployment rate that they think is consistent with a healthy economy to a range of 5 percent to 5.2 percent. That is down from a previous range of 5.2 percent to 5.5 percent. Unemployment now stands at 5.5 percent, the top of the previous range.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his