The US Federal Reserve on Wednesday said the US economy was expanding “at a solid pace” with strong job gains in a signal that the central bank remains on track with its plans to raise interest rates this year.
The Fed repeated that it would be “patient” in deciding when to raise benchmark borrowing costs from zero, though it also acknowledged a decline in certain inflation measures.
After a two-day meeting of the Federal Open Market Committee, policymakers struck an upbeat tone on the US economy’s prospects and held to their view that energy-led weakness in inflation would dissipate.
“The committee, in fact, was downright bullish on current economic conditions and the outlook,” IHS Global Insight director of financial economics Paul Edelstein said.
In making its announcement, the Fed largely skirted slumping economies in Europe and Asia, saying only that it would take “financial and international developments” into account when determining when to raise rates, adding a reference to global markets for the first time since January 2013.
“Economic activity has been expanding at a solid pace,” the Fed said in a statement that marked an upgrade to its prior assessment of a “moderate pace” of growth. “Labor market conditions have improved further, with strong job gains and a lower unemployment rate.”
Long-term US bond yields fell as some investors focused on the Fed’s reference to international developments and weak inflation, potentially widening the gap between the central bank’s language and what markets expect policymakers to do. The US dollar strengthened against a broad basket of currencies.
“Just the inclusion of international development, that’s probably perceived as dovish and the bond market is rallying probably on that,” High Frequency Economics chief US economist Jim O’Sullivan said.
O’Sullivan added that “at the end of the day, the baseline is still June for lift-off,” and said that the falling unemployment rate remains a key gauge for the Fed.
The Fed’s stance stands in sharp contrast to many of its peers in developed countries that have recently eased monetary policy to boost struggling economies. That was led by the European Central Bank’s 1 trillion euro (US$1.13 trillion) bond-buying program to stimulate the eurozone economy.
“You would have thought that if you were going to really postpone [a rate hike] to 2016, there would have been some more emphasis on international events and the dollar,” Wells Fargo economist John Silva said.
The policy divergence has helped push the US dollar to multi-year highs, a looming concern for the Fed, given the move’s negative impact on US exporters and inflation.
Many Fed officials have pointed to a possible rate increase around mid-year, but they again left the door open to a later move.
“The committee judges that it can be patient in beginning to normalize the stance of monetary policy,” the Fed said.
The central bank acknowledged inflation had declined further below its 2 percent target and that market-based price gauges had fallen substantially — a more negative assessment than it gave last month.
The Fed also provided a time frame for its inflation view, saying it expects inflation to rise gradually toward its goal over the “medium term.”
Fed officials have said they could begin raising rates even if inflation remains stuck at a low level, confident that economic growth and job gains would eventually produce rising prices.
They also view the initial “liftoff” as the start of an extended, years-long process in which rates are set to remain far below normal and continue to boost investment and spending.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his