A US judge ordered Argentina and investors who did not participate in the country’s past debt restructurings to meet “continuously” with a court-appointed mediator until a settlement is reached, warning of the threat of a new default.
US District Judge Thomas Griesa in New York told Argentina and lawyers for investors who declined to restructure their bonds after the country defaulted on about US$100 billion in 2002 that time was running out to reach a deal and avert a fresh default.
“That is about the worst thing I can envision. I don’t want that to happen,” the judge said.
Jonathan Blackman, a lawyer for Argentina, Latin America’s third-largest economy, said even with around-the-clock talks, it would be “unlikely, if not impossible, to result in settlement.”
“It simply can’t be done by the end of the month,” he said.
Griesa ordered the parties to meet with Daniel Pollack, a New York lawyer appointed to oversee settlement talks, “continuously until a settlement is reached.” Pollack scheduled a meeting for yesterday at 10am.
Pollack, who was appointed on June 23 as a mediator, has been holding meetings with the parties, publicly acknowledging talking twice with Argentine officials.
DELEGATION
Argentina is sending a delegation to meet with Pollack, but a government source said Argentine Economy Minister Axel Kicillof would not be among the group.
The presidency of Argentina said in a statement that: “Judge Griesa ... resolved absolutely nothing on any of the issues which had been brought before him.”
A lead holdout creditor, Elliott Management’s NML Capital Ltd, said in a statement it was prepared to meet with Pollack to resolve the dispute.
“We are confident this matter could be resolved quickly if Argentina would join us in settlement discussions,” NML said.
Argentine over-the-counter dollar-denominated bonds slid following the hearing, before recovering some of the losses. The bid price on the Discount bond was down 1.1 percent on a day earlier at US$86.65 at 5:25pm on Tuesday, while the Par bond was 0.8 percent lower at US$50.80.
“Clearly Argentina is running out of time,” said Ignacio Labaqui, an analyst for consultancy Medley Global Advisors. “Today is the first time I have seen the market believing that Argentina might default. It’s up to Argentina to decide what it will do.”
BRINK OF DEFAULT
Argentina has been pushed to the brink of a fresh debt default by US court decisions that it must pay US$1.33 billion plus interest to bondholders who did not participate in debt swaps in 2005 and 2010. The holdouts are led by NML and Aurelius Capital Management.
The country argues that paying the holdouts would open it up to as much as US$15 billion in claims from other investors and further strain its financial condition.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort