After months of speculation, Amazon on Friday introduced a digital subscription service that allows subscribers unlimited access to a library ebooks and audiobooks for US$10 a month.
The service, Kindle Unlimited, offers a Netflix-style, all-you-can-read approach to more than 600,000 ebooks, including blockbuster series like The Hunger Games and Diary of a Wimpy Kid, nonfiction titles like Flash Boys by Michael Lewis, as well as literary fiction and classics.
So far, however, none of the five biggest publishers appear to be making their books available through the service.
HarperCollins, Hachette and Simon & Schuster, for example, are not participating, representatives from the three companies confirmed.
Penguin Random House and Macmillan declined to comment, but a search on Amazon suggests that they are not making their books available.
As a result, some popular titles were noticeably absent when the service began on Friday. Subscribers who want to read Laura Hillenbrand’s Unbroken or Veronica Roth’s Divergent will not find those books on Kindle Unlimited, at least not yet.
Books that can be downloaded free as part of the subscription have an orange Kindle Unlimited icon under the title, along with a price tag of US$0.00.
Because many authors publish with more than one house, subscribers may find that they can download certain books by, for example, Margaret Atwood or Michael Chabon, but not other titles by the same authors.
The introduction of the service comes as the relationship between the major publishers and Amazon has grown increasingly tense. The online retailer faces growing scrutiny for its dominance of the ebook market and its tough negotiating tactics with publishers.
Amazon and Hachette have been engaged in a lengthy public standoff over ebook terms that remains unresolved.
Among the imprints making their books available to the service are Scholastic, which publishes The Hunger Games series, and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Media outlets reported The Kindle Unlimited service this week, when Amazon accidentally posted a promotional video for the subscription model. The video was quickly taken down from Amazon’s Web site, but not before technology bloggers noticed.
In offering the service, Amazon is entering an increasingly crowded marketplace. It is set to compete with publishing startups offering similar services, like Scribd and Oyster, which charge a similar subscription fee and have comparable digital libraries.
Scribd has about 400,000 titles and charges subscribers US$9 a month. Oyster has more than 500,000 titles available and gives readers unlimited access for US$10 a month.
With similar pricing models, the competition among ebook subscription services could be over the books and authors that are included.
Scribd’s subscription service includes books from more than 900 publishers, including Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins and Wiley. Oyster offers titles from six of the top 10 American publishers, said a company representative.
Publishers receive payments whenever users download one of their books and read a certain percentage.
“An increasing number of people want to read in this way, just like they consume movies this way and listen to music this way,” Oyster chief executive Eric Stromberg said. “The unlimited model is just a better experience.”
Still, Amazon is entering the arena with a huge advantage: its dominance within digital publishing, and its vast audiobook library, which it is bundling into the subscription service. Amazon owns Audible and is including more than 2,000 digital audio titles in Kindle Unlimited.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he