Venezuelans enjoy free highways and dirt-cheap gas, but are struggling to buy cars as production falters thanks to a lack of foreign currency to pay for imported parts.
Car assembly plants are facing their worst year in the oil-rich nation, producing five times fewer units than last year due to the lack of imported supplies amid an economic crisis that began last year.
Most economic experts blame the South American country’s problems on a decade of rigid currency and price controls, as well rising debt, dependence on imports and stagnant economic growth.
Photo: AFP
Since February, four of the nation’s seven assembly plants — owned by Chrysler Group LLC, Ford Motor Co, Iveco SpA and Toyota Corp — have gradually stopped production.
Foreign carmakers in Venezuela must go through a complex bureaucratic process to obtain US dollars and the government only provides the currency at the official rate of 6.3 bolivars per greenback to importers of designated priority goods such as food and medical supplies. Others who need US dollars to pay overseas bills have to buy them at a higher rate at government-run auctions.
Many companies have complained that Caracas is not providing them with enough hard currency. The currency controls in place since 2003 have led to shortages of a wide range of basic goods and fueled an inflation rate hovering at just less than 60 percent.
So far this year, government data show that the auto sector has received less than 1 percent of foreign exchanges granted to importers. Consequently, auto production saw a sharp drop of 82.6 percent so far this year compared with last year, according to the Venezuelan Automotive Chamber.
A total of 104,000 units were produced in 2012; that number fell to 72,000 units last year and by the first quarter of this year, had fallen further to 3,990 — The industry has been halved in five years.
Faced with this crisis, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s government this week summoned local representatives of Chrysler, Ford, General Motors Co and Toyota to address their factories’ currency settlements, estimated at almost US$2.8 billion.
Although the government said General Motors would not close its plants this year, union leaders have said the company’s two factories would stop production this month because they had no input.
Dealerships across the board have almost no units to sell and many only keep their doors open to provide maintenance services. Customers often have to wait a year to get the car they ordered.
In recent years, the middle and upper classes have turned to buying cars as a way to hedge against inflation, which sits at four times the interest rate on bank deposits.
Yet as demand exceeds supply, many resort to the used car market, where vehicles are more expensive than new ones, whose prices are controlled by the government.
A new Mitsubishi Lancer from this year costs 458,000 bolivars (US$45,800 at the official rate or US$6,500 on the black market) while a used, 2012 version of the same model costs about 1.3 million bolivars. A middle-class family would need an average of four years of income to buy the second-hand Mitsubishi.
Workers are especially worried about the decline in production.
“We could lose our jobs. We are the ones who are suffering the most,” said Christian Pereira, the head of national auto workers’ union FUTAAC.
Venezuela’s vehicle assembly sector employs about 11,000 people directly and 100,000 indirectly, accounting for nearly 1 percent of private-sector jobs.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his