Leading Dutch coffee supplier DE Master Blenders 1753 is linking up with US snacks giant Mondelez International to create a global coffee leader.
The Dutch company’s best-known coffee brand, Douwe Egberts, will team up with Mondelez’s Jacobs and Carte Noir brands in a new company to take on other giants in the coffee market like Nestle, the companies said on Wednesday.
Master Blenders will pay US$5 billion in cash to Mondelez for its coffee business, and give Mondelez a 49 percent stake in the new player.
The company, to be called Jacobs Douwe Egberts (JDE), will be based in the Netherlands and is expected have annual sales of more than US$7 billion.
This strategy will “create the world’s leading pure-play coffee company,” the two companies said in a statement.
The new company “will hold leading market positions in more than two dozen countries and will have a strong emerging-market presence, giving it significant revenue synergy opportunities,” the statement said.
The deal excludes Mondelez’s coffee business in France, which will be bought by Acorn Holdings, the owner of Master Blenders.
Mondelez is a leader in the snacks sector, with brands including Cadbury, LU and Nabisco biscuits, and coffee brands such as Gevalia and Tassimo.
The tie-up comes as the Deerfield, Illinois-based company looks to refocus strategy on its snacks business. Coffee accounts for 17 percent of Mondelez’s sales, which totaled US$35 billion last year.
Master Blenders has a portfolio of global coffee and tea brands, including Douwe Egberts, Senseo and Pickwick.
Tracing its origins back to 1753, the company emerged from the spin-off of US company Sara Lee’s international coffee and tea business, bought by a German investment group led by Joh. A. Benckiser in 2012 for nearly US$10 billion.
In the first quarter, Mondelez saw a 70 percent plunge in net profit from a year ago, due to lower coffee sales and weaker emerging markets.
Mondelez said its organic growth outlook for this year had slowed to 3 percent, and it was launching a US$3.5 billion cost-cutting restructuring program through 2018.
“We anticipate that the challenging environment in emerging markets will continue,” it said.
The new JDE will compete with beverage giant Nestle in the highly profitable coffee capsule market, said sector analyst Tom Muller of Theodoor Gilissen private bank.
“The coffee capsule market, especially in the United States and Europe, is a strong growth area,” Muller said.
“In order to be a world leader and compete against a coffee capsule market leader like Nestle, you need coffee volumes and marketing power. This I think is the idea behind this deal,” he said.
Muller said the deal could make JDE the world’s leader in the combined market for capsules and coffee beans.
The deal is expected to be completed in the course of next year, subject to regulatory approvals.
Mondelez CEO Irene Rosenfeld said her company, by retaining a stake in JDE, would “continue to benefit in the future growth of the coffee category.”
Master Blenders CEO Pierre Laubies said that JDE would “offer more people around the world more access to high-quality coffee” and would enable the company to seize significant growth opportunities.
Mondelez investors cheered the news, pushing shares up 8.2 percent to US$38.10 on the NASDAQ on Wednesday.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his