MediaTek Inc (聯發科), the nation’s No. 1 handset chip designer, will beat its revenue guidance for the third quarter thanks to the expansion of its smartphone chip business, UBS Securities forecast last week.
In a research note dated on Friday, UBS expected MediaTek’s sales to grow 20 percent sequentially in the current quarter, slightly higher than Hsinchu-based company’s projection of between 13 and 18 percent.
The brokerage also predicted MediaTek’s margins would continue to rise in the fourth quarter following the production ramp-up of new MT6575/6577 dual-core platforms for affordable smartphones.
“After showing strong shipment growth in the third quarter, investors now have concerns on potential inventory corrections into the fourth quarter, and it might limit MediaTek’s share price upside in the near term,” said Jonah Cheng (程正樺), a Taipei-based analyst with UBS. “We maintain our view that MediaTek should be able to maintain sequential revenue growth in the fourth quarter of 2012, given the ramp up of new dual-core MT6577 chips.”
However, Cheng said he would also double check the sell-through situation during China’s “Golden Week” holiday from Oct. 1 to Oct. 10 to verify his projection.
UBS maintained a “buy” rating on the stock and a target price of NT$370.
Shares of MediaTek gained 1.35 percent to close at NT$339 on Friday.
On June 27, MediaTek announced that it had developed the MT6577 platform for sub-US$200 smartphones, the fastest growing segment of the global smartphone market.
In the second quarter, cellphone chips accounted for 45 percent to 55 percent of MediaTek’s total sales, with smartphone chips making up 20 to 25 percent of the sales during that time, MediaTek said.
The company shipped 21 million smartphone chips in the April-to-June period, topping an earlier shipment estimate of 18 million to 20 million units.
As a result of solid demand from Chinese buyers, MediaTek has raised its smartphone chip shipment target to 95 million units this year from a previous estimate of 75 million units.
Bill Lu (呂家璈), a Morgan Stanley analyst in Hong Kong, expected MediaTek to ship more than 200 million smartphone chips next year by offering a more complete solution to Chinese handset vendors that includes wireless connectivity and better performing chips.
“China’s smartphone adoption has been faster than the United States and Western Europe, but slower than South Korea thus far, and MediaTek’s smartphone ramp has been faster than its feature phone ramp,” he wrote in a separate note.
Another upside factor for MediaTek is growing interest in “white-box” tablets in emerging markets, which could approach 100 million to 150 million units next year and drive up MediaTek’s revenue if the company can tap into the supply chain, Lu said.
A white-box tablet is a model without a registered brand name, which is usually sold at a lower cost than branded tablets to gain traction among price-sensitive consumers.
Morgan Stanley raised its target price for MediaTek to NT$400 from NT$322, while keeping its “overweight” rating on the stock.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his