India gave the green light on Friday for foreign supermarket chains to enter the country as part of a blitz of economic reforms intended to spur growth and revitalize the government.
Global leaders such as Walmart, Tesco and Carrefour are to be able to own up to 51 percent in Indian subsidiaries, allowing them into a previously protected but potentially hugely lucrative sector.
Last December, the administration of India Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, reeling from a string of corruption scandals, was forced to withdraw the reform proposal due to fierce resistance.
“The cabinet has taken many decisions today to bolster economic growth and make India a more attractive destination for foreign investment,” Singh said in a statement.”I believe that these steps will help strengthen our growth process and generate employment in these difficult times.”
The government also relaxed investment rules in the aviation sector to allow in foreign airlines for the first time, and approved the sale of stakes in four state-owned companies in the oil, copper and aluminum sectors.
The announcements follow a bold 12 percent hike in the price of heavily subsidized diesel on Thursday night, which analysts saw as the government looking to shake off its reputation for inaction and revive its reform agenda.
Indian Commerce Minister Anand Sharma told a press conference that the clear message was that “this government thinks of India’s interests, its growth, its development, job creation, wealth generation and infrastructure building.”
Shopkeepers, opposition parties and even an ally in the national coalition have opposed the change in the law on the grounds that it would destroy the livelihoods of the small business owners who dominate the retail sector.
Populist coalition partner Trinamool Congress, a regional party from the state of West Bengal, issued a 72-hour deadline for the government to roll back the reforms, setting up a tense political drama for next week.
The next task for Singh, 79, the architect of India’s first wave of market-oriented reforms in the 1990s, would be to keep the fragile coalition together.
The reforms have come at a time when investor sentiment is down the drain,” said Jyoti Narasimhan, an economist at the IHS Global Insight consultancy.
A recent poll by the Pew Research Center showed that just 38 percent of Indians thought the country was heading in the right direction.
The government sees foreign supermarkets as a way to improve the food supply chain, particularly in refrigerated facilities, as well as a means to create an estimated 10 million jobs and bring down food prices.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his