A Chinese conglomerate announced yesterday that it would buy major US cinema chain, AMC Entertainment Holdings, for US$2.6 billion in China’s biggest corporate takeover in the US to date.
Dalian Wanda Group Co’s (萬達集團) purchase reflects the global ambitions of a wave of cash-rich Chinese companies that are using acquisitions to speed their expansion by obtaining foreign skills and brand names.
Wanda said the deal would create the world’s biggest movie theater operator. The Beijing-based company said it would invest an additional US$500 million to fund AMC’s development.
AMC operates 346 cinemas, mostly in the US and Canada, and says it has 23 of the 50 highest-grossing US outlets.
“We support AMC becoming bigger, not only in the US, but in the global market,” Wanda chairman Wang Jianlin (王建林) said at a signing ceremony for the acquisition.
The deal reflects rising Chinese investment in US corporate assets despite disputes between the two governments over trade and -political issues such as this month’s diplomatic standoff over blind Chinese legal activist Chen Guangcheng (陳光誠).
It is the largest ever takeover of a US company by a Chinese company.
In terms of all Chinese corporate investments in the US, the deal is the third-largest, according to financial research firm Dealogic. It ranks behind investments by Beijing’s sovereign wealth fund, the China Investment Corp (中國投資公司), of US$5 billion for a minority stake in Morgan Stanley and US$3 billion in Blackstone Group LP, both in 2007.
Chinese companies had invested US$34.8 billion in the US by the end of last year in industries that include auto parts, agriculture and steelmaking, according to data compiled by economist Derek Scissors at the Heritage Foundation in Washington.
Globally, outbound mergers and acquisitions by Chinese companies total US$16.8 billion so far this year, up 6 percent from the same period last year, according to Dealogic.
Wanda said AMC’s headquarters would remain in the Kansas City area and day-to-day operations would not change. It said AMC’s management would remain in place and staff numbers were not expected to be affected. The company employs about 18,500 people.
Wanda, founded in 1988 and privately owned, operates hotels, department stores, tourism and other businesses and said it had revenue of US$16.7 billion last year. The company employs 50,000 people and its assets include 86 theaters in China.
AMC’s owners include Apollo Global Management, Bain Capital, the Carlyle Group, CCMP Capital Advisors and Spectrum Equity Investors.
AMC has reported losses for the past three years, but its chief executive Gerry Lopez said it returned to profit this year as a result of strong ticket sales.
Wang said AMC’s financial problems were caused by the cost of servicing high debt. He said conditions should improve once the injection of Wanda’s cash allows it to pay off some of that.
“We are confident that after the merger, AMC will turn positive,” he said. “We have absolute confidence in the future of the company.”
Wang said Wanda is considering more acquisitions abroad for its entertainment, hotel and retail units. He said the company might try to buy into a global hotel brand or a hotel management company, but gave no details.
“We want to be a big company, not just in China, but in the world,” he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his