The Jordanian cabinet approved an austerity package that includes plans to raise taxes on banks and mining firms, but avoids controversial fuel and electricity price rises, to hold down the rise in the budget deficit, officials said yesterday.
They said the first package of measures, approved at a cabinet meeting late on Saturday, also included cuts in the government’s operational spending and a freeze on hiring, and were expected to produce savings of around 300 million dinars (US$423 million).
The state news agency Petra said the government would amend the income tax law to increase the taxes on profitable banks and on mining firms such as Arab Potash and Jordan Phosphate Mines Co, among the world’s leading producers of fertilizers.
Officials said privately that the next step would be a rise in electricity and premium gasoline prices, which the government said earlier this month was needed to stop the budget deficit from exceeding US$4 billion this year and further damaging the kingdom’s growth prospects.
Successive governments have adopted an expansionist fiscal policy characterized by sizable state subsidies and salary increases in response to months of protests that began early last year, inspired by the uprisings that swept the Arab world.
In the latest sign of popular discontent, Islamist and tribal opposition groups held street protests against rising prices on Friday.
To head off greater unrest, the authorities created new state jobs in an already bloated public sector, froze gasoline prices and maintained subsidies for bread.
Officials say the new measures were needed to get IMF approval for further financing by donors worried about the impact of extra social spending on Jordan’s fiscal and monetary stability.
Jordanian Finance Minister Suleiman al-Hafez was quoted last week as saying the planned price rises and higher taxes were crucial to avoid the budget deficit soaring to 2.03 billion dinars (US$2.8 billion) — after taking account of foreign aid that traditionally covers budget shortfalls.
The budget deficit could have reached a record 2.93 billion dinars if foreign aid fell and the new measures were not adopted, he said.
Last year the economy was kept afloat by a US$1.4 billion cash injection from Saudi Arabia, but officials say there was no pledge of support from Saudi Arabia this year, raising concerns about the budget.
This year’s budget had set a much lower deficit target of 1.027 billion dinars, 4.6 percent of GDP, after allowing for extra foreign aid and the streamlining of a subsidies package that costs over 2.3 billion dinars a year.
Officials say the government plans to impose a sales tax on a long list of luxury goods, and will not touch subsidies on bread for the poor and on cooking gas that a majority of the country’s 7 million low-income people depend on.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his