Credit Suisse Group posted its first fourth-quarter net loss since 2008 as Switzerland’s second--biggest bank continued its drive to reduce its exposure to potentially risky investment banking at a time when Europe’s economy is facing problems related to a raging debt crisis.
The bank yesterday said its net loss in the fourth quarter amounted to 637 million Swiss francs (US$698 million), way down on analysts’ expectations for a more modest loss of SF431 million.
In the equivalent period in 2010, Credit Suisse posted a SF841 million profit.
Brady Dougan, chief executive officer of a bank that has about 50,000 staff around the world and manages more than US$1 trillion in assets, blamed the loss on tough market conditions and aggressive cuts in costs and risks, including the need to meet a new requirement that it hold more capital.
“Our performance for the fourth quarter 2011 was disappointing,” Dougan said. “It reflects both the adverse market conditions during the period and the impact of the measures we have taken to swiftly adapt our business to the evolving market and regulatory requirements.”
RESTRUCTURING COSTS
Dougan said an acceleration in its restructuring program cost the bank almost SF1 billion in the last quarter.
One of the most important changes stems from Credit Suisse’s attempt to cut the risk profile of it investment bank division. In November last year, Credit Suisse said that by the end of 2014, it would have cut risk-weighted assets by SF110 billion, mostly from the investment bank’s fixed-income unit.
Its investment bank saw revenues decline 64 percent in the fourth quarter, and that pushed the unit to its second consecutive quarterly loss.
Following confirmation of its quarterly loss, chief financial officer David Mathers told reporters the bank would propose a dividend of 75 centimes a share for last year, down from SF1.30 a share for the previous year.
TAX PROBE
Credit Suisse faces similar structural problem as crosstown rival UBS AG and has yet to close the book on a US tax evasion probe.
Mathers said he had no new comment on the tax probe.
On Tuesday, UBS AG, Switzerland’s biggest bank, reported that its profit fell 76 percent in the fourth quarter. The bank was hurt by a US$2 billion trading scandal last year and has been downsizing its investment bank to meet stricter capital requirements as Europe’s debt crisis hits the financial sector.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his