Groupon shares jumped more than 30 percent on Wall Street on Friday after the online daily deals sensation raised US$700 million in the biggest initial public offering (IPO) by an Internet company since Google Inc.
Groupon shares were listed on the NASDAQ market at US$20 and rose as high as US$31.14 in early trading, before closing at US$26.11, a gain of 30.55 percent on the day.
Groupon, which is trading under the symbol “GRPN,” hailed its success as the second-largest IPO after Google, which reaped US$1.7 billion when it went public in August 2004.
It was valued at $12.7 billion at the IPO price, despite being dogged by questions in recent months about its accounting methods, business model and failure to turn a profit.
Groupon, which rejected a US$6 billion takeover offer from Google a year ago, sold 35 million shares of stock at US$20 per share, higher than the initial US$16 to US$18 price range.
“Our IPO is a small milestone on our journey,” Groupon chief executive Andrew Mason said in a blog post. “With our IPO behind us, I couldn’t be more excited about what lies ahead.”
Groupon’s stock market debut is being closely watched by investors hungry for technology stocks and market analysts on the lookout for signs of another dot-com bubble.
There have been several IPOs by Internet firms this year, but the most eagerly awaited are social games giant Zynga Game Network, Inc, which has already filed its papers for an IPO, and Facebook, which has not revealed its plans.
Career-oriented social network LinkedIn Corp went public in May at US$45 a share and closed at US$82.37 on Friday.
However, not all technology IPOs have been as successful.
Pandora shares closed at US$15.22 on Friday, below the June listing price of US$16 for the popular Internet radio site.
Groupon has enjoyed phenomenal growth since its founding in 2008 — going from 37 employees two years ago to more than 10,400 presently — but its rise has not been without controversy.
Renaissance Capital, a research company that specializes in IPOs, said Groupon’s long-term success depends on an unproven business model.
“Regardless of the rapid growth Groupon has used to infatuate potential investors, the company still has yet to turn a profit,” Renaissance Capital said. “Future earnings will largely depend on Groupon’s ability to reduce marketing expenses effectively, while maintaining customer growth.”
“Additionally, it must withstand rapidly increasing competition in the space, including from large companies such as Google and Amazon,” which, like Groupon, are also offering daily discounts from selected merchants, it said.
In a blog post, analyst Jon Ogg of the Web site 247WallSt.com echoed some of the concerns expressed by others about Groupon.
“It has nothing unique in its model other than having a highly paid sales force,” Ogg said.
“If you were given shares at the IPO, lucky you,” he said. “If not, let’s just say that Groupon is not exactly a suitable investment for widows and orphans.”
Renaissance Capital said some of the initial investor interest in Groupon might stem from the relatively limited number of shares the company offered — just 5.5 percent of its outstanding shares.
Virginie Lazes of investment bank Bryan, Garnier & Co said companies generally place 15 percent to 20 percent of their shares in an IPO and Groupon’s debut “has been structured to create an immediate hit.”
Groupon is present in 175 North American markets and 45 countries and has 142.9 million subscribers. It sold 33 million “Groupons,” or discount coupons, in the third quarter of the year.
In a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission, Groupon reported a net loss of US$308.1 million for the first nine months of the year compared with a loss of US$77.7 million during the same quarter last year.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his