The US Federal Reserve on Wednesday slashed its forecast for growth, raised projections for unemployment and said it was mulling the possibility of buying more mortgage debt to spur a struggling recovery.
While members of the Fed’s policy-setting panel voted 9 to 1 to hold a steady course, one official urged more stimulative action now and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said Europe’s debt crisis posed major economic risks.
At a news conference after a two-day meeting, Bernanke said buying more mortgage-backed securities was an option to help the economy and added that the US central bank was still looking for ways to give clearer guidance on its policy path.
“While we still expect that -economic activity and labor market conditions will improve gradually over time, the pace of progress is likely to be frustratingly slow,” he said.
“Moreover, there are significant downside risks to the economic outlook,” Bernanke said. “Most notably, concerns about European fiscal and banking issues have contributed to strains in global financial markets, which have likely had adverse effects on confidence and growth.”
He said the Fed was “closely” monitoring developments in Europe.
G20 political leaders were schedule to meet in Cannes, France yesterday and today, with the eurozone debt crisis expected to dominate talks.
One analyst speculated that concern about potential instability in Europe — especially after a shock decision by Greece to hold a referendum on a bailout package that had been agreed to — likely played into the Fed’s decision.
“The Fed probably wanted to preserve its ammo until there was more clarity on how the European sovereign debt crisis unfolds,” said Bernard Baumohl, chief global economist for The Economic Outlook Group, in Princeton, New Jersey.
The Fed’s decision had little impact on financial markets. US stocks held early gains, prices of 10-year Treasury notes were little changed on the day and prices for MBS tracked the larger debt market.
In fresh quarterly projections, the Fed lowered forecasts for growth and raised forecasts for unemployment for this year, next year and 2013. Policymakers do not see the jobless rate, now at 9.1 percent, falling to a level they consider consistent with full employment even by the outer edge of their forecasting horizon, the final quarter of 2014.
Officials now expect the world’s largest economy to grow 2.5 percent to 2.9 percent next year, down from the rosier 3.3 percent to 3.7 percent they were expecting in June, with inflation muted over the forecast horizon.
They see the unemployment rate going no lower than between 8.5 percent and 8.7 percent by the end of next year, up from the 7.8 percent to 8.2 percent range envisioned in June.
Fed officials believe the economy will have reached full employment when the jobless rate drops to between 5.2 percent and 6 percent, with a growing number seeing it at the top of that range. In their forecast, the unemployment rate would still be at 6.8 percent to 7.7 percent at the end of 2014.
Bernanke has called the lofty level of US unemployment a national crisis and some officials at the central bank have urged new steps to foster stronger growth.
Chicago Federal Reserve Bank president Charles Evans dissented on Wednesday because he wanted to ease policy, while the three officials who voted against an easing in September supported the consensus.
Evans has suggested that the Fed should keep interest rates near zero until the unemployment rate reaches 7 percent, unless inflation threatens to rise above 3 percent.
Bernanke indicated that there was a range of different approaches to the Fed’s policy framework that were under debate, including the idea put forward by Evans. However, he was dismissive of an approach recommended by several economists — targeting nominal GDP — and said the Fed would continue to keeps its focus on inflation and employment.
“We are not contemplating at this time any radical change in framework,” he said.
Faced with a still-weak recovery, the Fed in September embarked on a program to sell US$400 billion in short-term Treasuries and invest the money in longer-dated bonds, an effort to keep long-term rates down.
It also dipped back into the mortgage market by reinvesting the proceeds of its real estate bond holdings back into mortgage-backed securities.
While Bernanke left open the possibility that the Fed could expand its holdings of mortgage debt, he stopped short of pledging action.
“I do think that purchases of mortgage-backed securities is a viable option. Certainly, something we would consider if the condition were appropriate,” Bernanke said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his